Karim Benzema retires from international football

Forum 1 year ago

Karim Benzema retires from international football

Karim Benzema has posted a message on social media intimating that he is retiring from international football.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/ee0fd09d7b94a51f9d5ccf1002f8ccb2.jpg

The striker, who turned 35 on Monday, was set to play at his first World Cup since 2014 this winter before a thigh injury effectively ruled him out just prior to the tournament.

However, with Les Bleus reaching the final once again and Benzema returning to training with Real Madrid, there was speculation that he could return to Qatar to take on Argentina as he was still officially on their squad list.

Head coach Didier Deschamps insisted last week that Benzema would not be returning, while the striker turned down an invitation to attend the final in a non-playing capacity.

France would go on to lose via a penalty shootout, and taking to Instagram and Twitter, Benzema has seemingly closed the book on his international career.

"I made the effort and mistakes it took to be where I am today and I’m proud of it! I wrote my story and ours ends," he wrote, accompanied by a picture of him in a France shirt.

Benzema was left out of France squads between 2015 and 2021 in part due to a blackmail case against former teammate Mathieu Valbeuna. During this time, he also made disparaging remarks about Olivier Giroud.

After a near six-year absence, Benzema returned to the France setup in time to play at the delayed Euro 2020.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: You damaged English football – Pochettino slams VAR after Aston Villa draw
Forum | 6 mins ago

EPL: You damaged English football – Pochettino slams VAR after Aston Villa draw

Another Video Of Bullying At Lead British International School Surfaces Online
Forum | 3 days ago

Another Video Of Bullying At Lead British International School Surfaces Online

Absolutely exceptional’ – Michael Owen reveals best football manager on planet
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Absolutely exceptional’ – Michael Owen reveals best football manager on planet

Two Persons Killed As Police, Shi’ites Clash In Kaduna During International Rally
Forum | 3 weeks ago

Two Persons Killed As Police, Shi’ites Clash In Kaduna During International Rally