PSG president discusses plan for Lionel Messi contract talks

Forum 1 year ago

PSG president discusses plan for Lionel Messi contract talks

PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi has confirmed the club will speak with Lionel Messi about his future now that the World Cup is over.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/09880eee634b1f415cb81a3dc80a1d98.jpg

Messi's current deal with the French champions runs until the summer but he does have the option to extend that by a further 12 months - something former employers Barcelona are keen to avoid happening.

Meanwhile, PSG want to tie Messi down to an entirely new contract to end the speculation on his future once and for all.

Asked after the game about PSG's plans to keep both Messi and Kylian Mbappe beyond this season, Al-Khelaifi insisted the Parisians plan to try their best.

"We want to keep both Leo Messi and Mbappe, of course," he said. "They’re the best player and the best goalscorer of the World Cup.

"I don't want to say any more about Leo, we had an agreement to talk after the World Cup."

Even before the World Cup final, in which Messi's Argentina came out on top against Mbappe's France, Al-Khelaifi had reaffirmed PSG's desire to thrash out contract extensions with both players.

"Kylian has just signed a new contract, and Leo's lasts at least until the end of the season," Al-Khelaifi told La Gazzetta dello Sport before the final. "Both, but in reality all of our players, are happy to play for PSG.

"Their most recent performances prove it, even before the World Cup. PSG have not lost a single match so far. And the women's PSG, as usual, is doing very well.

"No decision on Messi's contract will be made until next year. The club and the player will do what is right and in the best interests of both parties. We are all very happy right now, which is great."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
FG To Abuja-Lokoja-Benin Road Contractors: Sign Contract In Two Days Or Forfeit Job
Forum | 1 day ago

FG To Abuja-Lokoja-Benin Road Contractors: Sign Contract In Two Days Or Forfeit Job

President Tinubu Attends African Counter-Terrorism Summit In Abuja
Forum | 4 days ago

President Tinubu Attends African Counter-Terrorism Summit In Abuja

Rebecca Ferguson Discusses Mission: Impossible Exit: ‘It Needs to Be Worth It’
Forum | 1 week ago

Rebecca Ferguson Discusses Mission: Impossible Exit: ‘It Needs to Be Worth It’

What President Tinubu Told Me About My Removal As APC Chairman – Ganduje (Video)
Forum | 1 week ago

What President Tinubu Told Me About My Removal As APC Chairman – Ganduje (Video)