Luka Modric confirms decision on international future

Forum 1 year ago

Luka Modric confirms decision on international future

Croatia midfielder Luka Modric has confirmed he plans to represent his country in the Nations League finals in 2023, but refused to commit any further.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/ee38af4c05e85c4c0536207b5e34bf0e.jpg

Now 37, Real Madrid man Modric is undeniably in the twilight of his career but he remains a vital player for both club and country.

He inspired Croatia to third place in this winter's World Cup, starting each of his side's seven games and missing just a handful of minutes. After the game, Modric confirmed he is not ready to hang his boots up just yet.

"I do not know if I will play until the Euro in Germany," he told beIN Sports. "I need to go step by step. I am enjoying the national team and I feel happy. I still think I can perform at a high level.

“I want to continue until at least the Nations League. And afterwards we will see.”

Croatia qualified for the finals of the Nations League by winning their group, coming out on top ahead of Denmark, World Cup finalists France and Austria.

They'll now butt heads with Spain, Italy and the Netherlands in June 2023 - the same month Modric's current Real Madrid contract is set to expire.

The veteran midfielder has confirmed he dreams of retiring on the books at Real, and reports suggest he could be set to sign a new one-year extension to take him to 2024 when, internationally, Croatia will be preparing for the European Championships in Germany.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
LaLiga: Ancelotti opens up on future of Real Madrid’s wonderkid, Arda Guler
Forum | 23 hours ago

LaLiga: Ancelotti opens up on future of Real Madrid’s wonderkid, Arda Guler

Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved
Forum | 1 day ago

Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved

Another Video Of Bullying At Lead British International School Surfaces Online
Forum | 3 days ago

Another Video Of Bullying At Lead British International School Surfaces Online

Tom Holland Confirms Spider-Man 4 but Admits It’s Tough To Follow No Way Home
Forum | 5 days ago

Tom Holland Confirms Spider-Man 4 but Admits It’s Tough To Follow No Way Home