MLS commissioner confirms interest in Lionel Messi transfer

Forum 1 year ago

MLS commissioner confirms interest in Lionel Messi transfer

MLS commissioner Don Garber has confirmed clubs within the league have been showing an interest in signing Lionel Messi.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/a980fbbc35358ee5c824039e7b39a669.jpg

Messi's current deal with Ligue 1 giants Paris Saint-Germain is due to expire at the end of the 2022/23 campaign, leading to plenty of speculation regarding his future.

As previously reported by 90min, the seven-time Ballon d'Or winner won't rush his decision, with plenty of destinations to consider.

Barcelona are thought to be keen on bringing Messi back to the club where he scored an incredible 672 goals in 778 appearances, winning multiple La Liga and Champions League titles along the way.

However, 90min understands Inter Miami are among a clutch of MLS clubs with both the available finances and desire to bring Messi across the Atlantic Ocean in what would be a landmark deal for the league.

In attendance at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, Garber has been asked about the possibility of Messi joining MLS and what it could mean to soccer in North America.

"There has been an interest in Messi. We believe a lot, however, in the formality of the rules so at the moment he is under contract and then he will decide what to do," the MLS commissioner said.

"It would be fantastic to have someone like him in our championship, someone of his stature who can offer a global platform to talk about MLS, even beyond the borders of our countries.

"I wouldn't be surprised if we hear more voices about Messi in particular."

Wherever Messi is mentioned, Cristiano Ronaldo isn't far behind. Now a free agent after leaving Manchester United, the Portuguese icon is sure to see his own name linked with MLS over the coming weeks.

However, Garber was a little more reserved when discussing MLS interest in Ronaldo.

"I've heard all the rumors that have been circulating these days, although none specifically about Ronaldo," he said. "I'm sure sooner or later rumors about him will come up too, but I can't comment on whether one team or the other is actually interested to him."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka
Forum | 13 hours ago

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka

Tom Holland Confirms Spider-Man 4 but Admits It’s Tough To Follow No Way Home
Forum | 1 day ago

Tom Holland Confirms Spider-Man 4 but Admits It’s Tough To Follow No Way Home

Drama As Ondo Sports Commissioner ‘Assaults’ NAN Journalist During APC Primary
Forum | 2 days ago

Drama As Ondo Sports Commissioner ‘Assaults’ NAN Journalist During APC Primary