6 Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences In English Formation

Forum 8 years ago

6 Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences In English Formation

1. Actually

Crutch words are words that we slip into sentences in order to give ourselves more time to think, or to emphasize a statement. Over time, they become unconscious verbal tics. Most often, crutch words do not add meaning of a statement. Actually is the perfect example of a crutch word. It is meant to signify something that exists in reality, but it is more often used as a way to add punch to a statement (as in, "I actually have no idea"). The next word is one of the most chronically misused crutch words in English.

2. Literally

This adverb should be used to describe an action that occurs in a strict sense. Often, however, it is used inversely to emphasize a hyperbolic or figurative statement: "I literally ran 300 miles today." Literally is one of the most famously used crutch words in English. The next one, however, may surprise you.

3. Basically

This word is used to signal truth, simplicity, and confidence, like in "Basically, he made a bad decision." It should signify something that is fundamental or elementary, but too often this word is used in the context of things that are far from basic in order to create a sense of authority and finality.

4. Honestly

This crutch word is used to assert authority or express incredulity, as in, "Honestly, I have no idea why he said that." However, it very rarely adds honesty to a statement. The next crutch word is perhaps the most famous.

5. Like

The cardinal sinner of lazy words like is interspersed in dialogue to give a speaker more time to think or because the speaker cannot shake the habit of using the word. Like should describe something of the same form, appearance, kind, character, or amount. But, very often, it is used involuntarily in conversation, just like um.

6. Obviously

This word should signify an action which is readily observable, recognized, or understood. Speakers tend to use it, however, to emphasize their point with regards to things that aren't necessarily obvious: "Obviously he should have thrown the ball to first base."
[ads4]

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
UCL: Referee used common sense – Arteta on why Bayern didn’t get penalty
Forum | 6 days ago

UCL: Referee used common sense – Arteta on why Bayern didn’t get penalty

Davido’s brother trades words with Dammy Krane over alleged betrayal from OBO
Forum | 1 week ago

Davido’s brother trades words with Dammy Krane over alleged betrayal from OBO

Court Sentences Man To 15 years Imprisonment For Stabbing His Teenage Girlfriend To Death After Accusing Her Of Infidelity
Forum | 1 month ago

Court Sentences Man To 15 years Imprisonment For Stabbing His Teenage Girlfriend To Death After Accusing Her Of Infidelity

AFCON: Why I didn’t change Super Eagles’ formation against Ivory Coast – Peseiro
Forum | 2 months ago

AFCON: Why I didn’t change Super Eagles’ formation against Ivory Coast – Peseiro