England remain concerned about James Maddison's fitness ahead of World Cup opener

Forum 1 year ago

England remain concerned about James Maddison's fitness ahead of World Cup opener

James Maddison is unlikely to be available for England's opening game of the World Cup against Iran, sources have told 90min.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/e7529056a85d9920cf9bddcc4850a409.jpg

The midfielder suffered a hamstring injury in Leicester's win over West Ham in his final game before the winter break for the World Cup.

Maddison and Leicester insisted the injury was not serious, but since arriving in Qatar, the 25-year-old has not been able to train.

Upon arrival, Maddison declared that there were no serious concerns about the injury, insisting: "We’ve had the scan, it was a good scan, there wasn't any major problems.

"I have to do a little bit of work to get up to speed with the physios, there should be no concern. I'm hopeful that I'll be fine."

England have until Sunday - 24 hours before their first game - to decide if they want to call up a replacement in Maddison's place.

Should Maddison drop out, the most likely alternatives would be Chelsea's Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Southampton's James Ward-Prowse, who both came close to making Gareth Southgate's 26-man squad.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Creature Commandos Update Given by James Gunn for First DCU Show
Forum | 2 days ago

Creature Commandos Update Given by James Gunn for First DCU Show

SPORT 2 hours ago FA Cup Semi-Final: Why Chelsea lost to Man City – Pochettino
Forum | 4 days ago

SPORT 2 hours ago FA Cup Semi-Final: Why Chelsea lost to Man City – Pochettino

James Brown Vows Never to Stop Twerking Online
Forum | 5 days ago

James Brown Vows Never to Stop Twerking Online

Ab*rtion Is Better Than Bringing A Child Into The World That You Cannot Take Care Of - Etinosa
Forum | 5 days ago

Ab*rtion Is Better Than Bringing A Child Into The World That You Cannot Take Care Of - Etinosa