Ilkay Gundogan hints at reason for delay in Man City contract talks

Forum 1 year ago

Ilkay Gundogan hints at reason for delay in Man City contract talks

Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan has admitted that he needs to know what the future holds for manager Pep Guardiola before he makes a decision on his future.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/2f3df3f0e5450b07e70f7f69f1ad5d3e.jpg

The 32-year-old club captain is out of contract at the end of the season, as is Guardiola, and 90min understands that Bayern Munich are interested in bringing him back to Germany. Reports elsewhere have also named Barcelona as suitors.

City are open to extending Gundogan's contract but, speaking to kicker, the midfielder confessed that Guardiola's future could play a significant role in his decision.

"I'm pretty relaxed about it," he said when asked about his future. "While it doesn't sound like much anymore, the summer of 2023 still feels so far away. I'm not overly concerned about it at the moment.

"It's not even clear what's going to happen with our coach. His contract is only until 2023, and nobody knows what he is planning.

"In my career, I have always made my decisions dependent on who is the coach there, because the most important thing for a footballer is that the coach values ​​you, but can also challenge and encourage you."

Gundogan went on to stress that he would be happy to remain with City, adding: "I feel very comfortable in Manchester and am very happy. I have a lot to thank the club for and I've experienced a lot of great moments. I can imagine hanging around for a few more years."

There was one move Gundogan was happy to rule out, however - a reunion with former Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool.

"I think I can rule out that happening," he laughed. "Everyone knows how much I like and appreciate Kloppo, but I've been at City for a few years now. And now, as City captain, moving to rivals Liverpool? I can't imagine it."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
UCL: You killed the game – Gundogan blames Barcelona teammate for PSG defeat
Forum | 2 days ago

UCL: You killed the game – Gundogan blames Barcelona teammate for PSG defeat

Drama as Nigerian Man Slaps Girlfriend Over Cake-cutting at Party
Forum | 2 days ago

Drama as Nigerian Man Slaps Girlfriend Over Cake-cutting at Party

How Akwa Ibom Man Abandoned His Wife And 2-Year-Old Daughter In The Village To Live With His Side Chick In The Town
Forum | 2 days ago

How Akwa Ibom Man Abandoned His Wife And 2-Year-Old Daughter In The Village To Live With His Side Chick In The Town

Nigerian Man Arrested For Being In Possession Of Fake Naira Notes
Forum | 2 days ago

Nigerian Man Arrested For Being In Possession Of Fake Naira Notes