Eddie Howe provides injury update on sensational Newcastle duo

Forum 1 year ago

Eddie Howe provides injury update on sensational Newcastle duo

Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe has provided an update on the status of Callum Wilson and Kieran Trippier after the duo appeared to pick up knocks in the Magpies' 4-1 win over Southampton.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/1660d80b82b0cf1850c506aba167d896.jpg

Right-back Trippier was seen clutching his hamstring area shortly before half-time, although he did continue for most of the second half before being substituted with 10 minutes remaining.

Meanwhile, striker Wilson was substituted at the interval for Chris Wood, who went on to score his side's second goal in an emphatic victory.

On Wilson, Howe explained: “It was a joint decision, he didn’t feel he had the energy needed and it was easy decision to replace him with Chris, who came on and got the job done.

“When you look at today’s performance it was below from where have been but we still won 4-1.”

When asked about Trippier, Howe admitted: “I’m not sure what happened in terms of him getting treatment. He said he was fine at half-time to carry on. It was my decision to withdraw him at 3-0 just to protect him.”

Wilson is probably a long shot for Gareth Southgate's England squad as the Three Lions look ahead to the World Cup. Trippier, however, is a vital component of Southgate's team - even more so with the recent injuries to fellow right-backs Kyle Walker and Reece James.

It seems like both players have gotten off lightly this time, meaning Southgate will be free to call upon either one of them when he names his final squad imminently.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’
Forum | 2 days ago

The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’

The Curse Season 2 Update Given by Nathan Fielder and Emma Stone
Forum | 3 days ago

The Curse Season 2 Update Given by Nathan Fielder and Emma Stone

Shogun Season 2 Update Given by Showrunner
Forum | 3 days ago

Shogun Season 2 Update Given by Showrunner