Wolves make fresh move for Julen Lopetegui

Forum 1 year ago

Wolves make fresh move for Julen Lopetegui

Wolves have made a fresh approach to persuade Julen Lopetegui to become their new permanent head coach, sources have confirmed to 90min.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/046ea8ad7dd699c3a083fbb30052030f.jpg

Wolves axed previous boss Bruno Lage at the start of October, and they soon made Lopetegui their top target as he parted company with Sevilla. However, the Spaniard turned the job down - citing family reasons, confirming he wanted to see his elderly father.

Upon leaving Sevilla, he said: "The only future plan I have right now is to go see my father, who is 92 years old and I haven't seen him for a long time.

"My family is important, they live with the intensity of our profession, we take our problems home, I owe them everything and I'm very grateful. They are the ones who give me the strength to continue being a football coach."

Sources have now told 90min, that after failing with approach for QPR's Michael Beale and interviewing a host of other names, the club have gone back to their first choice for the role.

Lopetegui is believed to have responded favourably to Wolves' new effort to tempt him to Molineux, which includes the promise of a substantial transfer fund to help bolster the squad.

Wolves, who had appointed coach Steve Davis on an interim basis until 2023, are now hoping they can agree terms with Lopetegui in order for him potentially even take charge before the World Cup break later this month.

At the very least they would hope for an appointment some time in December ahead of the return of the Premier League from the World Cup hiatus on Boxing Day.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Timber to make Arsenal’s squad for Bournemouth clash
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: Timber to make Arsenal’s squad for Bournemouth clash

EPL: Neville names three signing Chelsea should make to compete for title next season
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: Neville names three signing Chelsea should make to compete for title next season

Transfer: Wolves table €12m bid for Osayi-Samuel
Forum | 5 days ago

Transfer: Wolves table €12m bid for Osayi-Samuel

Panic As Gunmen Go Wild, Kill Student, 2 Others In Fresh Plateau Attack
Forum | 1 week ago

Panic As Gunmen Go Wild, Kill Student, 2 Others In Fresh Plateau Attack