I Never Thought I'd Be 46, Divorced, Single And Having A Baby On My Own - Former CNN correspondent Isha Sesay

Forum 1 year ago

I Never Thought I'd Be 46, Divorced, Single And Having A Baby On My Own - Former CNN correspondent Isha Sesay

46-year-old former CNN Correspondent, Isha Sesay has shared her personal story.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/c3f7dd235d4d17284021210e274405c5.jpg

Sesay who is pregnant with her first child revealed this in a moving piece published on TODAY.

In an essay posted on the website, the British journalist of Sierra Leonean descent disclosed the events that influenced her decision to have a child on her own.

She wrote: "If you’d told the 16-year-old me that at 46, I’d be divorced, single and having a baby on my own — by choice! — I’d have shuddered and firmly said 'no!'

"Back then, I had very definite ideas about the future course my personal life would take, and it didn’t look like this. I imagined something way more straightforward and dare I say it, conventional."

She explained that after her marriage ended and her mother suffered a stroke, she reflected on her life and decided she would greatly regret not having a child.

"A brief marriage to a kind man didn’t result in children, and then the year I turned 40, my mum had a catastrophic stroke, leaving me no emotional space to contemplate anything other than caring for her," she wrote.

"Six years went by and a few months ago I found myself in a subpar relationship with a man who took about 12 hours to reply to all my texts, among other red flags. It was then, in the aftermath of our inevitable breakup, that it hit me: Not having a child would be the greatest regret of my life. And with my biological clock ticking down, if I was waiting for the right man to come along before I did it, well, I might just find myself out of time.

"So, I decided to take control of my life and settle on the bravest and scariest decision I have ever made: to have a baby on my own.

"I had many long conversations with myself and tried to get to grips with questions about what it would mean to not have the support of a partner, both emotionally and financially.

"How would I handle society’s questions?  What would being a single parent mean for my child? I still don’t have all the answers, but I decided to take the leap because I refuse to let fear, social conventions or judgment hold me back from seeking this joy."

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/cfc964322f2abc491da18e029d79b92c.jpg

She went on to narrate the arduous medical process she had to go through, including deciding on a sperm donor.

She recalled: "My first IVF attempt was unsuccessful, and I cried for days afterward, before I could find the strength to start the process all over again a few months later.

"But with each passing day, I grew more fearful and anxious about my chances of being able to successfully carry a child. Those feelings only intensified when my doctor decided to halt my second attempt mid-cycle because my body was responding negatively to the medication.

"With two failed attempts to my name, I approached my third embryo transfer with relatively low expectations. In the two weeks that followed the procedure, my mind raced uncontrollably and I battled the urge to take an early pregnancy test.

"The day before I was scheduled to return to the clinic, I finally caved in and bought a home test because I couldn’t bear a repeat of the hours-long wait before the clinic called with the results. The next morning I got up long before the sun was up, anxiously headed to my bathroom and opened the box. The minutes ticked by and I cycled through a myriad of emotions. When the word 'pregnant' flashed up on the tiny screen, I screamed and fell to my knees before bursting into tears."

Isha said she is "elated" and "terrified" being pregnant, but she has no regrets.

"Ultimately, I made a decision — entirely on my own — and I have no regrets."

Her announcement has been met with messages of support and congratulations.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
BBNaija’s Chomzy Welcomes Baby Boy With Husband
Forum | 1 day ago

BBNaija’s Chomzy Welcomes Baby Boy With Husband

EPL: I know why Rashford is having bad season – Ten Hag
Forum | 6 days ago

EPL: I know why Rashford is having bad season – Ten Hag

Apartment 7A: Rosemary’s Baby Prequel With Julia Garner Gets Release Date Window
Forum | 6 days ago

Apartment 7A: Rosemary’s Baby Prequel With Julia Garner Gets Release Date Window

Newborn Baby Drowns Inside A Well In Kano
Forum | 1 week ago

Newborn Baby Drowns Inside A Well In Kano