Ruben Loftus-Cheek opens up on England World Cup squad ambition

Forum 1 year ago

Ruben Loftus-Cheek opens up on England World Cup squad ambition

Ruben Loftus-Cheek has opened up on his ambitions to make the England squad for next month's World Cup in Qatar.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/6781069dcb3a63edceca690f23e7d3c3.jpg

The tournament is officially less than a month away with Gareth Southgate set to confirm his final 26-man squad on November 13, narrowing down from a wider 55-man pool.

Chelsea's Loftus-Cheek hasn't been capped for England since appearing at the 2018 World Cup having only returned from a year-long injury lay-off in June 2020, but has enjoyed a resurgence in form this season.

Speaking in a press conference ahead of Chelsea's Champions League game against Red Bull Salzburg, the versatile midfielder was honest about his targets, admitting it would be 'amazing' to make the squad.

"It would mean a lot," he said. "As a player going into the 2018 World Cup, you see your trajectory to go upwards and to be at the next World Cup - if everything goes well.

“A lot has happened in that time and I am just happy and grateful that I am fit and healthy and playing football now consistently. If I go to the World Cup off the back of what I am doing now, it would mean the world but that is not at the forefront of my mind now.

"We’ve got some big games coming up at the club and they need my full focus. It would be selfish for me to think about my personal aspirations rather than the club at the moment."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Timber to make Arsenal’s squad for Bournemouth clash
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: Timber to make Arsenal’s squad for Bournemouth clash

‘It was a mistake, I’m sorry’ – Ruben Amorim apologises over failed move to EPL club
Forum | 6 days ago

‘It was a mistake, I’m sorry’ – Ruben Amorim apologises over failed move to EPL club

LaLiga: Ancelotti opens up on future of Real Madrid’s wonderkid, Arda Guler
Forum | 1 week ago

LaLiga: Ancelotti opens up on future of Real Madrid’s wonderkid, Arda Guler

Kwankwaso’s Presidential Ambition in NNPP Mirage — APC
Forum | 1 week ago

Kwankwaso’s Presidential Ambition in NNPP Mirage — APC's Salihu Lukman