Federico Valverde & Luka Modric to miss RB Leipzig game

Forum 1 year ago

Federico Valverde & Luka Modric to miss RB Leipzig game

Real Madrid will be without midfielders Federico Valverde and Luka Modric when they face RB Leipzig in the Champions League on Tuesday.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/76ab95baaa095010b71ce1f915007de4.jpg

Uruguay international Valverde, who is enjoying a real breakout year at the Bernabeu, was caught on the knee by Papu Gomez during Saturday's 3-1 win against Sevilla, and although he completed the full 90 minutes, he was often seen limping and barely even moved during the final stages.

"He has a knock on his leg, it bothers him a bit, we have to see him," Ancelotti told reporters after the game. "I don't know if he will be able to recover [in time to face Leipzig]."

Marca have since confirmed that Valverde will play no part against Leipzig on Tuesday but, fortunately for Los Blancos, scans on the 24-year-old's injury have come back positive.

The understanding is that Valverde's issue is little more than a strong knock which, while uncomfortable, is not going to keep him out for any significant length of time. He will not play against Leipzig but is expected to return to the lineup soon after.

Real Madrid have also confirmed that Modric will miss the trip to Germany, though did not disclose a reason for his absence.

A draw against Leipzig would be enough to guarantee Real's qualification for the next round, while three points would ensure they finish top of Group F ahead of Leipzig, Shakhtar Donetsk and Celtic.

Real's early success can be credited in part to Valverde, who is enjoying his best season in front of goal. He has racked up seven in 16 games, having come into this season with just six strikes in 148 outings for Los Blancos.

Ancelotti is one of the few people who has not been surprised by Valverde's explosion. Earlier this season, he made a bet with the midfielder that he would retire at the end of the season if Valverde had not scored at least ten goals in all competitions - for context, he managed just one last year in 46 games.

"I took a massive risk with this bet, because he only scored once last year," Ancelotti admitted. "I rarely bet with the players to be honest."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Mission: Impossible 8 Cast Adds Severance’s Tramell Tillman
Forum | 4 days ago

Mission: Impossible 8 Cast Adds Severance’s Tramell Tillman

LaKeith Stanfield to Star in Video Game Adaptation El Paso, Elsewhere
Forum | 4 days ago

LaKeith Stanfield to Star in Video Game Adaptation El Paso, Elsewhere

Naira Will Continue To Appreciate Against US Dollar, Tinubu Knows The Game – Shettima
Forum | 5 days ago

Naira Will Continue To Appreciate Against US Dollar, Tinubu Knows The Game – Shettima

Missing Delta University Student
Forum | 6 days ago

Missing Delta University Student 'Spotted In Her Boyfriend’s Residence'