Antonio Conte fires warning to Tottenham's World Cup stars

Forum 1 year ago

Antonio Conte fires warning to Tottenham's World Cup stars

Antonio Conte has revealed he 'wouldn't accept' his Tottenham players prioritising this winter's World Cup over their club form in the next few weeks.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/f81f1b4342539480e8f8d6aae54ca728.jpg

The tournament kicks off next month and several star players are in danger of missing out due to injuries picked up in recent games for their clubs.

Conte confirmed on Monday that Brazil forward Richarlison is expected to return from a muscle injury picked up against Everton before the World Cup, though admitted it was hard watching his summer signing break down in tears in fear of being ruled out.

"For sure, after the game the player was really worried," Conte said. "There is only one month and the World Cup is coming. For this reason, I think every single player in this period, if he has an injury, could be really worried. To play the World Cup is the dream of every single player.

"For this reason I’m happy, especially for the player. For me, for the club it’s okay but I know and understand the importance of this competition for the players and to know that he can go to play makes me happy because after the game I went home really sad to see him really worried."

However, Conte then stressed that he will not accept Spurs players pulling out of tackles in order to ensure they remain injury-free ahead of the World Cup.

"You can’t know what will happen. We have to live with this situation, every club has to live with this situation, but I’m sure about this: if a player plays with worries about getting an injury, for sure it will happen," he added.

"Players have to play in a normal way and they have to know that they have to give 100% in every game.

"Also because I wouldn’t accept if I see one player to avoid a tackle or think about the World Cup. For sure, it’s not my problem because I have a group of players who, first of all, are really top men and then also top players. Now we have to go to play against [Manchester] United and this is the most important thing for us."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Harry Redknapp gives surprise prediction for Tottenham vs Arsenal clash
Forum | 22 hours ago

EPL: Harry Redknapp gives surprise prediction for Tottenham vs Arsenal clash

Cora Bora Trailer: Meg Stalter Stars in Comedy Movie
Forum | 2 days ago

Cora Bora Trailer: Meg Stalter Stars in Comedy Movie

You Bring So Much Joy, Into My World - Actor Browny Igboegwu Celebrates Wife on Her Birthday
Forum | 2 days ago

You Bring So Much Joy, Into My World - Actor Browny Igboegwu Celebrates Wife on Her Birthday

Under the Stars Cast: Toni Collette, Andy Garcia & More Join Rom-Com Movie
Forum | 4 days ago

Under the Stars Cast: Toni Collette, Andy Garcia & More Join Rom-Com Movie