Karim Benzema hails Zidane and Ronaldo following 'proud' Ballon d'Or win

Forum 1 year ago

Karim Benzema hails Zidane and Ronaldo following 'proud' Ballon d'Or win

Karim Benzema admitted he is 'really proud' of the work he put into being crowned the winner of the 2022 Ballon d'Or, and paid tribute to two footballing idols.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/d284e2e13dba4ba24001e5113b2941b1.jpg

The Frenchman was electric for Real Madrid as they clinched the Champions League and La Liga in supreme fashion, racking up 44 goals and 15 assists in all competitions from just 46 games.

He also made his return to the French national team in 2021 having not been capped since 2015, chipping in with 10 goals from 16 appearances since coming back.

Speaking on stage after being presented with the award, Benzema said: "This makes me really proud, all the work I did, I never gave up."

He added, paying tribute to his idols in attendance: "I had two role models in my life, Zidane and Ronaldo as well. I always had this dream in my mind that everything's possible. There was a difficult period where I wasn't in the French team but I worked hard and never gave up, kept my head down and enjoyed playing football.

"I'm really proud of my journey here, it wasn't easy, it was difficult, for me and my family. To be here today, the first time for me. I am just really, really happy, thanks to my teammates, with Real Madrid and the national team."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd

FA Cup: ‘You want him in front of goal’ – Lampard hails Chelsea star
Forum | 6 days ago

FA Cup: ‘You want him in front of goal’ – Lampard hails Chelsea star

EPL: Arsenal’s biggest win of season – Redknapp reacts to 2-0 victory over Wolves
Forum | 6 days ago

EPL: Arsenal’s biggest win of season – Redknapp reacts to 2-0 victory over Wolves

SPORTFA Cup: It’s unacceptable – Guardiola reacts to 1-0 win over Chelsea
Forum | 6 days ago

SPORTFA Cup: It’s unacceptable – Guardiola reacts to 1-0 win over Chelsea