Ivan Toney insists he's 'ready' for England World Cup call-up

Forum 1 year ago

Ivan Toney insists he's 'ready' for England World Cup call-up

Brentford striker Ivan Toney has said he is 'ready' to go to the World Cup with England if he is selected in Gareth Southgate's 26-player squad.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/fa40aae911bf758f793a88bd61029822.jpg

The 26-year-old was called into the Three Lions setup for the first time in his career last month, though did not make it onto the pitch to earn a maiden cap.

Toney scored a brace - a deft flick followed by a trademark cool penalty - to earn Brentford a 2-0 win against Brighton on Friday, leaving only Erling Haaland ahead of him in the Premier League scoring standings.

Speaking to Sky Sports post-match, Toney insisted he felt like he belonged while away with England and is ready for the World Cup should he be selected again.

"I feel good. I'm ready to go," Toney said. "Obviously everyone's talking about England. Obviously I was disappointed not to get on, but you've got to keep working hard.

"You're playing with the best of the best. Without being big-headed, I didn't feel out of place.

"I felt I was ready for that step and whenever it comes along and whenever I've got the chance to get minutes, I'm ready to take my opportunity."

Brentford boss Thomas Frank made the case for Toney heading to the World Cup after the Brighton win, adding: "It would be a big thing, we spoke about it when he first got called up. If he could get a cap, it would be amazing because it would be the first time in, I don't know, 80 years [since a Brentford player starred for England]. We keep breaking records these days so it would be another one. For Ivan, it would be amazing.

"I personally think - I respect Gareth so much, he knows the bigger picture than me and I'm biased as I'm only looking at Ivan but I know him very well - I think he's a perfect fit for the squad if you want that flexibility in your strikers. I don't see one striker that can do the same as him."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert
Forum | 23 hours ago

Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert

It
Forum | 23 hours ago

It's Difficult To Say RIP - Zubby Michael Posts Junior Pope On Instagram After He Was Dragged For Not Mourning

rri Pikin Celebrates RMD As He Visits Her Family
Forum | 1 day ago

rri Pikin Celebrates RMD As He Visits Her Family

Heartstopper Season 3 Adds Hayley Atwell, Jonathan Bailey, & More to Cast
Forum | 1 day ago

Heartstopper Season 3 Adds Hayley Atwell, Jonathan Bailey, & More to Cast