Inaki Williams confirms he could have joined Liverpool in 2019

1 month ago

Athletic Bilbao forward Inaki Williams has confirmed reports claiming he could have joined Liverpool in 2019, but his longstanding loyalty to the Basque club ultimately prevailed.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/383794b0efb177cb00e7cbac44006a21.jpg

The 28-year-old, who made his debut for Ghana during the international break after switching allegiance from Spain, had long been rumoured to be a target for Jurgen Klopp's side.

Spanish publication AS reported earlier this year that the Reds had been prepared to activate the €88m release clause in Williams' contract at the time, off the back of an impressive season in which he had scored 12 goals in La Liga. Soon after, he signed a new deal at San Mames until 2028 that raised the buyout fee to an even more prohibitive €135m.

In a lengthy interview with AS, Williams was specifically asked about Liverpool and said: “I had an option to leave. There were contacts in which I kept my position clear.

"It’s nice that clubs like this try to get you, but I was always clear that I want to be at Athletic.”

Last season, Williams broke the La Liga record for consecutive appearances in the competition when he made his 203rd appearance in a row for Bilbao. In April 2022, the forward marked six years since he last missed a game for the club he joined in 2014.

Comment Box is loading comments...
Related Forums
Xavi confirms talks with €60m wonderkid over Barcelona transfer
Forum

Xavi confirms talks with €60m wonderkid over Barcelona transfer

5 hours ago
MLS commissioner confirms interest in Lionel Messi transfer
Forum

MLS commissioner confirms interest in Lionel Messi transfer

16 hours ago
Saudi Arabia sports minister keen on Man Utd & Liverpool investment
Forum