Premier League confirm planned tributes for Queen Elizabeth II

Forum 1 year ago

Premier League confirm planned tributes for Queen Elizabeth II

The Premier League have announced plans to pay tribute to the late Queen Elizabeth II this weekend.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/e2320e397c6319795457c656701c9acc.jpg

The Queen passed away last Thursday and the following round of Premier League fixtures were postponed in her honour.

Seven of the scheduled 10 matches this weekend will go ahead - Manchester United vs Leeds and Chelsea vs Liverpool have been called off due to lack of available policing, while Brighton vs Crystal Palace was postponed due to a now-delayed rail strike - and the Premier League have unveiled plans to further pay respect to the late Queen.

Prior to kick-off, fans will come together for a minute's silence, and this will be followed by a rendition of the national anthem, 'God Save The King'.

Where possible, stadium screens and LED hoardings will display tribute images, while flags atop stadiums will fly at half-mast.

Supporters will then be asked to applaud in the 70th minute to honour the Queen's 70 years on the British throne.

The first fixtures with these tributes will come on Friday evening when Aston Villa host Southampton and Fulham travel to Nottingham Forest.

Wolves and Manchester City will face off in Saturday's early-kick off, Newcastle play Bournemouth in the only 3pm fixture and Tottenham battle Leicester later that evening.

Brentford's home clash with Arsenal has been pushed back to 12pm on Sunday, and Everton's battle with West Ham will be the final Premier League fixture before September's international break.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Premier League suits my style more than Serie A – Lookman
Forum | 1 week ago

Premier League suits my style more than Serie A – Lookman

UCL: Kylian Mbappe equals Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s Champions League record
Forum | 1 week ago

UCL: Kylian Mbappe equals Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s Champions League record

Queen Rock Montreal Sets Disney+ Streaming Release Date
Forum | 1 week ago

Queen Rock Montreal Sets Disney+ Streaming Release Date