Ajax manager confirms Edson Alvarez wanted to join Chelsea

Forum 1 year ago

Ajax manager confirms Edson Alvarez wanted to join Chelsea

Ajax manager Alfred Schreuder has admitted midfielder Edson Alvarez wanted to join Chelsea on the final day of the transfer window.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/bb57f12625ebb9792afce866bed99dc5.jpg

The Blues lodged a €50m bid for Alvarez on the final day of the English transfer window - the Dutch window had already closed - and midfielder even refused to train with his side in an attempt to force through a move.

Ultimately, Ajax refused to sell Alvarez and Schreuder attempted to move on by starting the Mexico international in Saturday's 4-0 victory over Cambuur, before which he admitted that Alvarez wanted to leave.

"Chelsea made contact over Edson Alvarez on the final day and Alvarez wanted this move," he told ESPN. "For one day, he was feeling very down, but yesterday, he told me: 'Coach, I am here and will give my 100% again'.

He also told club media: "We discussed it with Edson. When things happen on the last day, it is logical that he was preoccupied by that in his head, so we agreed that he would not train with us.

"Edson reported back on Friday and is ready to play. If you look at what happened and how he manifested himself in training on Friday, he has prepared himself very well. His message is that he is incredibly eager to continue playing at Ajax."

Once Alvarez was removed from the market, Chelsea set their sights on Denis Zakaria, striking a deal to bring the midfielder in on a season-long loan from Juventus that includes an option to buy.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: They’ll be too good – Chris Sutton predicts Chelsea vs Aston Villa
Forum | 1 hour ago

EPL: They’ll be too good – Chris Sutton predicts Chelsea vs Aston Villa

NSCDC Arrests Wanted Oil Thieves In Abia
Forum | 23 hours ago

NSCDC Arrests Wanted Oil Thieves In Abia

Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved
Forum | 23 hours ago

Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved

Pulse Cast: Happy Death Day Star & More Join Netflix’s First Medical Drama
Forum | 1 day ago

Pulse Cast: Happy Death Day Star & More Join Netflix’s First Medical Drama