Without A Speedy And Positive Response From FG, The Strike Will Continue - ASUU

Forum 6 years ago

Without A Speedy And Positive Response From FG, The Strike Will Continue - ASUU

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU)'s National President, Biodun Ogunyemi yesterday gave the conditions for calling off its strike. It said only a speedy and positive response from the Federal Government to its letter would end the dispute.

Ogunyemi said the letter dated August 28 bears the unions position on what the government is offering in respect of the issues at stake.

Ogunyemi said the letter followed earlier meetings with the officials of the ministries of Education and Labour and Employment where it was agreed that ASUU should consult with members and “revert back to the federal government.”

The ASUU boss identified “registration of Nigerian Universities Pension Management Company (NUPEMCO), fractionalisation of salaries in federal universities and underfunding/non – funding of state universities” as issues requiring resolution between the ASUU and the federal government.

Others are arrears and implementation of Earned Academic Allowances (EAA), release of fund for revitalisation of the nation’s public universities as spelt out in the 2013 Memorandum of Understanding, guidelines for retirement benefits of professors in line with the 2009 FGN – ASUU agreement, Treasury Single Account(TSA) and withdrawal of support for universities’ staff primary schools.

The ASUU National President lauded Nigerians, particularly students, parents and the media for their understanding “on the need to speedily address the issues in the best interest of the university system and overall development of the nation.”

The union has been on comprehensive and total strike action on August 13 following what the lecturers alleged as FG non – implementation of the agreement with the academic body.

Senator Ngige dismissed speculations of uncertainty over government negotiation with the lecturers, saying they were working round the clock to ensure the issues in dispute are resolved as soon as possible.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Why North, Southwest Will Continue To Control Political Power In Nigeria – Reno Omokri Says
Forum | 1 week ago

Why North, Southwest Will Continue To Control Political Power In Nigeria – Reno Omokri Says

“Distance is my new response to disrespect” – Mabel Makun says following husband, AY’s reaction to their split rumors
Forum | 1 week ago

“Distance is my new response to disrespect” – Mabel Makun says following husband, AY’s reaction to their split rumors

I’ll Continue To Ask For My Balance – Phyna Reacts As Ilebaye Reveals She Got Full BBNaija Prize Money
Forum | 2 weeks ago

I’ll Continue To Ask For My Balance – Phyna Reacts As Ilebaye Reveals She Got Full BBNaija Prize Money

Dan Schneider Issues Response to Quiet on Set Special
Forum | 4 weeks ago

Dan Schneider Issues Response to Quiet on Set Special