Euro 2022 sets new all-time European Championship final attendance record

Forum 1 year ago

Euro 2022 sets new all-time European Championship final attendance record

The Euro 2022 final between England and Germany has broken the attendance record for any European Championship final, after attracting a crowd of 87,192 at Wembley on Sunday.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/d66eb2faae7c9e9de355887d4da03aab.jpg

All those fans saw England win an historic match in extra-time, with Chloe Kelly ensuring she will forever be remembered as a Lionesses legend. Ella Toone had put the hosts ahead with a wonderfully composed lob, but Lina Magull had equalised to force another 30 minutes.

The attendance figure surpassed the previous mark set at the men's tournament back in 1964 when 79,115 spectators attended the final between Spain and Soviet Union at Santiago Bernabeu.

It also marks the second time that the Women's European Championship attendance record has been broken this summer alone, after the opening fixture between England and Austria at Old Trafford drew a crowd of 68,781.

Attendance for the tournament as a whole before the final stood at 487,683, already more than double the women's competition record previously set five years ago when Netherlands hosted a successful Euro 2017. With the final attendance now included, the figure sees Euro 2022 pass the 574,000 mark for total number of spectators going to games across the tournament.

The world record attendance for a women's football match remains the figure of 91,648 set by Barcelona and Wolfsburg during the pair's Champions League semi-final first leg at Camp Nou in April 2022.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
I Was With Him During His Final Moments - Actor Onny Michael Fires Back At Those Who Attacked Him For Not Mourning Junior Pope
Forum | 1 hour ago

I Was With Him During His Final Moments - Actor Onny Michael Fires Back At Those Who Attacked Him For Not Mourning Junior Pope

Spyro Emails Portable, Requests Collaboration On a New Song
Forum | 1 hour ago

Spyro Emails Portable, Requests Collaboration On a New Song

My Spy: The Eternal City Photo Sets Release Date for Dave Bautista Sequel
Forum | 6 hours ago

My Spy: The Eternal City Photo Sets Release Date for Dave Bautista Sequel

Civil War’s New ‘AI’ Movie Posters Spark Controversy
Forum | 6 hours ago

Civil War’s New ‘AI’ Movie Posters Spark Controversy