Andreas Christensen relishing competition for places after sealing 'dream' Barcelona move

Forum 1 year ago

Andreas Christensen relishing competition for places after sealing 'dream' Barcelona move

Andreas Christensen has insisted he is not scared of competing with Gerard Pique for minutes in Barcelona's defence after sealing his free transfer to Camp Nou.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/dd4c2654555757e626b88ba7b536f518.jpg

Christensen let his contract with Chelsea expire this summer and jumped ship to Barcelona, where there is no guarantee of a starting place as Xavi already has Pique and Ronald Araujo to call upon, with Eric Garcia also on the fringes on the first team.

Speaking in his official presentation on Thursday, Christensen did not shy away from the challenge ahead of him.

"There is a lot of competition, but it's healthy. I can learn a lot from all the players, the defenders," Christensen said. "Pique has been around for a long time, he's a legend.

"My goal is to play, that's what all footballers think. There is competition and, for me, it is healthy. It makes me improve and try harder. I don't want to say I'm competing with anyone by name because all the defenders are magnificent."

Part of his willingness to fight for minutes stems from a lifelong dream to play for Barcelona, with Christensen insisting he would not expect to waltz straight into the starting lineup at such a great club.

"I'm proud, it's a dream come true," the Dane said of his move. "Since I was little, it's been written that I wanted it to be this way. Thank you for making my dream come true and I hope to give me best.

"I feel very proud. Since I was eight years old, I put my dreams on paper and wrote 'playing for Barcelona'. That's why I feel proud and eager to start playing."

He added: "I will do my job every day and I will try to learn from the others. We all want to win, it is the main objective. The team and the club have this potential to win, this has never changed in the history of the club. I will come every day to learn from the others and give a boost to the others."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
I
Forum | 2 days ago

I'm In A League Of My Own, I Have No Competition In The Music Industry - Flavour

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka
Forum | 1 week ago

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka

Zeribe Nwosu Foundation (ZNF) Annual Essay Competition for Nigerian Students, 2024
Forum | 1 week ago

Zeribe Nwosu Foundation (ZNF) Annual Essay Competition for Nigerian Students, 2024

Nigerian Govt Places Ex-Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello on Watchlist
Forum | 1 week ago

Nigerian Govt Places Ex-Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello on Watchlist