Okupe Reveals The Only Thing Stopping NNPP And Labour Party From Merging

Forum 1 year ago

Okupe Reveals The Only Thing Stopping NNPP And Labour Party From Merging

The former presidential aide noted that an agreement on who emerges the flag bearer is the only issue delaying the alliance.

The 'placeholder' vice presidential candidate of the Labour Party,
Doyin Okupe has revealed why Labour Party and the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) are yet to form an alliance.
He noted that talks are still ongoing.

According to Okupe, the Labour Party and NNPP have agreed to form a new political order in the country but are yet to reach an agreement on which party will produce the presidential candidate.
He told Vanguard that both
Peter Obi and Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso are insisting on being the presidential candidate.

The former presidential aide noted that an agreement on who emerges the flag bearer is the only issue delaying the alliance.

He said: “
We have not foreclosed on anything. What has happened is that there have been a lot of informal discussions and interventions on the merger. There have been a lot of third party interventions on this same issue.

Officially, I have been involved in two meetings in two different locations where we discussed extensively. I can tell you authoritatively that I have spoken with Rabiu Kwankwaso on this matter.

We have not reached an agreement on the issue of whether the North will be the president or the South will be the president because both sides are insisting on being the arrowhead of the union in terms of presidency. This is where we have not really agreed. As of today, that is where we stand but there are a lot of goodwill ambassadors working behind the scene.

The options are still open. We have up till July 17 or so to take a final decision but the options are still open. We have not foreclosed on anything.”

Okupe however expressed surprise over NNPP saying that Kwankwaso has not agreed to be Obi’s running mate.

“I am surpri
sed about that and I have tried to reach out. It is something that is a bit too early. We have direct access and we are talking officially and unofficially. I heard the information but I have not been able to confirm it,” he said.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Davido Reveals Only American Artist He Can ‘Disturb’ Himself To Collaborate With
Forum | 3 days ago

Davido Reveals Only American Artist He Can ‘Disturb’ Himself To Collaborate With

Outer Range Season 2 Trailer Reveals Return of Josh Brolin Sci-Fi Series
Forum | 3 days ago

Outer Range Season 2 Trailer Reveals Return of Josh Brolin Sci-Fi Series

EPL: Guardiola reveals how Arsenal, Liverpool are better than Man City
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: Guardiola reveals how Arsenal, Liverpool are better than Man City

Organised Labour Presents Fresh Proposal To FG, Demands ₦615,000 Minimum Wage
Forum | 4 days ago

Organised Labour Presents Fresh Proposal To FG, Demands ₦615,000 Minimum Wage