Ekiti Polls: I didn’t witness vote buying by APC — Gov-elect

Forum 1 year ago

Ekiti Polls: I didn’t witness vote buying by APC — Gov-elect

Governor-elect of Ekiti State, Biodun Oyebanji, yesterday, said that he did not witness any vote buying in Saturday’s governorship election in the state.

This came as President Muhammadu Buhari received the Ekiti State Governor-elect at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Meantime, the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, has said that the President of the Senate, Dr. Ahmad Lawan, participated in the senatorial primary election for Yobe North Senatorial District.

There have been allegations that the Ekiti State governorship election was marred by massive vote buying with the ruling APC fingered at the centre, alongside some other parties that participated in the exercise.

Speaking with State House correspondents after being presented to President Buhari, Oyebanji said he won the poll based on the performance of the outgoing administration in the state, in which he played a prominent role.

The former Secretary to Ekiti State Government, SSG, said he canvassed for votes using the record of performance of the administration and what he had to offer the people going forward.

On the allegation that there was massive vote buying in the election and that he was a beneficiary of the vote buying, Oyebanji simply retorted: “Well, where I voted, I did not witness anything like that. But people are entitled to their opinion but not to their facts.”

I canvassed for votes —Oyebanji

He said: “Well, I will speak for myself. I canvassed for votes. I had a manifesto that I unveiled to Ekiti people and I canvassed based on that manifesto.

“I’m a part of a government that has done so well. Last time I was here, I said that if performance will be an indicator for electoral success, that we have nothing to fear. So, as far as we are concerned in APC we did not involve in vote buying, but we have done so well and we have a manifesto that pleases our people.”

Speaking when he received the governor-elect led by the APC Chairman, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, Governors Kayode Fayemi, Atiku Bagudu, and Abubakar Badaru of Kebbi, and Jigawa States, respectively, President Buhari said he keenly followed the polls held on Saturday, June 18, and was delighted with the orderly conduct, and the way the electorate and security agencies comported themselves.

The President in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Chief Femi Adesina was quoted as saying, “I loved how the APC Governors mobilized, and supported you,” the President told Oyebanji. “I think the party is very lucky, and things are getting better. I congratulate the Chairman, and I pray you sustain it.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Governor Mbah Trying to Create Crisis in Enugu – IPOB Warns
Forum | 2 days ago

Governor Mbah Trying to Create Crisis in Enugu – IPOB Warns

Aggrieved Aspirants Petition APC, Demand Cancellation Of Ondo Gov Primary Election
Forum | 2 days ago

Aggrieved Aspirants Petition APC, Demand Cancellation Of Ondo Gov Primary Election

Court Reverses Order Suspending Ganduje As APC National Chairman
Forum | 3 days ago

Court Reverses Order Suspending Ganduje As APC National Chairman

Another APC Ward Faction Suspends Ganduje
Forum | 4 days ago

Another APC Ward Faction Suspends Ganduje