Why Barcelona missed out on signing Darwin Nunez for €8m in 2020

Forum 1 year ago

Why Barcelona missed out on signing Darwin Nunez for €8m in 2020

Barcelona had hoped to sign Darwin Nunez for just €8m back in 2020, but their offer was blown out of the water by Benfica and they refused to up their bid.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/5f965350a6b1f9f082f087bf1174dad6.jpg

At the time, Nunez was plying his trade for Almeria in the Spanish second tier, netting 16 goals in 30 appearances during the 2019/20 season.

According to ESPN, these displays were enough to earn him interest from Barcelona as they searched for a long-term replacement for Luis Suarez.

The report states that former Barça sporting director Ramon Planes plotted a deal for as little as €8m. Nunez would then return to Almeria on loan initially.

However, before they could sign on the dotted line, Benfica submitted an offer worth three times that. Despite then-manager Ronald Koeman green-lighting the transfer, Barça were unwilling to match this bid and the Uruguayan ended up signing for the Portuguese giants.

After a promising first season in Portugal, Nunez exploded last campaign and netted 26 goals in just 28 appearances, spearheading their run to the Champions League quarter-finals.

This sparked a transfer tug of war this summer with Liverpool eventually winning the race for the forward by paying a club-record fee worth up to €100m.

With Barcelona on the lookout for a new striker this transfer window, they may be wondering what could have been with Nunez - something Suarez was keen to point out recently.

"I told them: 'Take care of Darwin. Watch him, he's very good," Suarez revealed.

"They told me he was at Almeria and still very young, but instead of paying €100m [now], at the time it would have been €20m and, for example, he could have been the replacement for [me]."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka
Forum | 1 day ago

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka

EPL: Brilliant signing – Redknapp backs Chelsea star to have good career at Stamford Bridge
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: Brilliant signing – Redknapp backs Chelsea star to have good career at Stamford Bridge

UCL: You killed the game – Gundogan blames Barcelona teammate for PSG defeat
Forum | 1 week ago

UCL: You killed the game – Gundogan blames Barcelona teammate for PSG defeat

My Dream Was To Play For Barcelona – Rapper, Zlatan Tells His Story
Forum | 2 weeks ago

My Dream Was To Play For Barcelona – Rapper, Zlatan Tells His Story