"Allow ads" and Popups to avoid redirection of your browsers.

How 2 men were burnt to death for alleged witchcraft in Cross River

Forum 7 years ago

How 2 men were burnt to death for alleged witchcraft in Cross River

Two men identified as Mr Asuquo Effing Etim and Chief Bassey Effiom Ngwe have been burnt to death in Akwa Ikot Effanga in Akpabuyo LGA of Cross Rivers state after a native doctor allegedly accused them of being responsible for the deaths of several young people in the village.
According to one Leo Igwe, who published the post on Facebook, the incident happened on July 3.

Igwe, who works at International Humanist and Ethical Union wrote: “The native doctor is currently in police custody but according to my local contact person, none of those who killed the alleged witches had been arrested.

“There are concerns that the matter may eventually die if pressure is not brought on the Nigerian state and police authorities to bring the perpetrators to justice. The native doctor could be released any moment from now and nobody would be brought to justice.

“In addition, some hoodlums suspected to be part of the lynch mob attacked and looted the home of CHIEF BASSEY EFFIOM NGWE because the son who reported the case, is helping the police with the investigation and arrests. The young man is living in fear for his life. He fled the community and is currently in hiding.

DAILY POST on July 10 contacted ACP Bunmi Osoko, Officer in-charge, State Criminal Intelligence and Investigation Department, SCIID, Cross River State police headquarters.

Osoko said it was a weekend and nothing can be done today, adding that investigation into the incident is ongoing.

The PPRO, however, confirmed that two persons were in police custody as suspects.

When contacted, Igwe told our reporter, “The media has to help do something about this. I am calling on the press and the Assistant Commissioner of Police, ACP, to investigate the matter and arrest those involved in the murder of the men.

“Witch hunting must stop. Witch hunters must be brought to justice.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Rivers crisis: I’m not distracted as FCT minister – Wike
Forum | 13 hours ago

Rivers crisis: I’m not distracted as FCT minister – Wike

Rivers crisis: Our position has not changed – PDP tells stranded lawmakers
Forum | 19 hours ago

Rivers crisis: Our position has not changed – PDP tells stranded lawmakers

Rivers: Nobody has monopoly of violence – Fubara fumes over attack on supporters
Forum | 20 hours ago

Rivers: Nobody has monopoly of violence – Fubara fumes over attack on supporters

Police arrest foreigner, 2 others over alleged kidnapping in Delta
Forum | 1 day ago

Police arrest foreigner, 2 others over alleged kidnapping in Delta