Sri Lankan Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa Resigns Amid Mass Protests Due To Economic Crisis

Forum 1 year ago

Sri Lankan Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa Resigns Amid Mass Protests Due To Economic Crisis

Mahinda Rajapaksa, the Prime Minister of Sri Lanka has tendered his resignation following mass protests over the government's handling of the economic crisis.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/f5cffea29206f3fb581d233b8d002f2a.jpeg

The country has been on curfew for days after Rajapksa supporters clashed with anti-government protesters in Colombo leading to the injury of at least 78 people .

The protests has been over soaring food and goods prices and power cuts since April. The island nation is facing its worst economic crisis since gaining independence from Britain in 1948.

On Monday, May 9, Rajapaksa, 76, sent his resignation letter to his younger brother President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, his spokesman has said in a press release.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
I Am: Celine Dion Documentary Sets Prime Video Release Date
Forum | 2 days ago

I Am: Celine Dion Documentary Sets Prime Video Release Date

They Never Left Each Other - Social Media Users React To Soma’s Comment On Angel
Forum | 3 days ago

They Never Left Each Other - Social Media Users React To Soma’s Comment On Angel's Photo Amid Breakup Rumours

Electricity Tariff Will Reduce If Exchange Rate Drops To N1,000/$ – Minister Of Power, Adelabu Says
Forum | 6 days ago

Electricity Tariff Will Reduce If Exchange Rate Drops To N1,000/$ – Minister Of Power, Adelabu Says

Mass Sack: We’re Now Living In Constant Fear – CBN Staff Speak Up
Forum | 1 week ago

Mass Sack: We’re Now Living In Constant Fear – CBN Staff Speak Up