Oshiomole’s Senate Ambition Splits Edo APC Group As Incumbent Fights To Stay

Forum 2 years ago

Oshiomole’s Senate Ambition Splits Edo APC Group As Incumbent Fights To Stay

The senatorial ambition of the former governor of Edo state, Adams Oshiomole has created a cracks within the ranks of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state.

Two persons who had served as commissioners in Edo State when Adams Oshiomhole was the governor have kicked against his senatorial ambition, pitching their tents with the incumbent senator who is also a member of the APC.

Mr Oshiomhole who clocked 70 years old recently, had earlier this month, declared his intention to contest for the Edo North District in the 2023 election under the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Mr Oshiomhole who has once served as the national chairman of the APC is perceived to be highly influential in deciding who gets what in the party structure.

Two former commissioners of the state, including Lucky James and Inumidun Idehen, in a joint statement, opposed his Senate ambition.

Mr James was the commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, while Mrs Idehen was in charge of Women Affairs.

According to the former commissioners in a joint statement released in Benin, on Thursday, they have pitched their tent with the incumbent Senator, Francis Alimikhena and will support him against Adams Oshiomole.

Mr Oshiomhole sacked Messrs James and Idehen from his cabinet in June 2012, one month to the governorship election in Edo.

The re-election of Mr Alimikhena, instead of replacing him with Mr Oshiomhole, would “guarantee a bigger deal” for the senatorial district, the two of them said in the press statement.

“Edo North APC youths should work in synergy with their respective leaders to ensure victory for Senator Alimikhena,” the statement said.

The statement said Senator Alimikhena, besides being the first to get the Expression of Interest and Nomination forms, has strengthened his campaign organisation, as a sign of his seriousness towards his re-election.

It quoted Mrs Idehen as saying, “At my age and with my pedigree, I cannot deceive my people. I owe it a duty to lead rightly, and Alimikhena is the right person for the 2023 Senate.”

She urged the people to do the right thing by nominating and supporting the senator for another term of office.

Reacting to the statement, a chieftain of the APC in Akoko-Edo, Ayo Olowojoba, said support for Oshiomhole would drag the senatorial district backward.

“We cannot be dragging Afemai backward by allowing a new person to go to the Senate. We will deliver Alimikhena with our unity, especially the Owan and Akoko-Edos,” he said.

The incumbent Senator representing Edo North, Senator Francis Alimikhena, had on the 4th of April declared his intentions to run for a third term in the senate.

In his declaration statement released by his Director of Communication, Benjamin Atu, he vowed to use his position to accelerate massive job opportunities and infrastructure development in Edo North, when reelected.

With Oshiomole’s interest in contesting for the same position, they will go head to head to get the party’s ticket for the upcoming 2023 elections.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/04030f52a9f5db566ee30f6a8f6ce38e.jpg

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Edo Police Arrest Cultists Who Allegedly Killed Man In Daughter’s Presence
Forum | 3 days ago

Edo Police Arrest Cultists Who Allegedly Killed Man In Daughter’s Presence

Follow AGF’s Advice, Submit To EFCC – Group Tells Yahaya Bello
Forum | 3 days ago

Follow AGF’s Advice, Submit To EFCC – Group Tells Yahaya Bello

Kwankwaso’s Presidential Ambition in NNPP Mirage — APC
Forum | 5 days ago

Kwankwaso’s Presidential Ambition in NNPP Mirage — APC's Salihu Lukman