‘Okada rider’ commits suicide in Ogun

Forum 7 years ago

‘Okada rider’ commits suicide in Ogun

A commercial motorcycle (Okada) rider, identified as Monday Onoja, has reportedly hung himself in the Ijebu Igbo area of Ogun State.
The 45-year-old man, having lost one of his legs to an accident, was said to be dependent on his wife.

Monday, the Punch reports, had threatened to commit murder the previous day after expressing dissatisfaction with life.

Monday, who hailed from Benue left his wife, Esther with their six children.

It was gathered that all the efforts made by his wife for him to change his mind proved abortive.

Monday was said to have woken early in the morning and hung himself in his room.

The Okada rider’s corpse was discovered around 8am at his residence on Ogunnaya Street, Ojowo, Ijebu-Igbo.

Esther said, “We have been married for the past 15 years and we had five children together. While he was a commercial okada rider, I am into trading. He was on his motorcycle on May 3, 2016, when he was involved in an accident.

“He broke his leg. Since that time, he had been staying at home and we had been managing the little I could provide for the family.

“Although he had yet to fully recover to start working again, he had started using crutches.

“Last night (Monday), he said he didn’t want to eat rice, that he wanted something else. Later, he threatened that he would kill himself. I begged him not to, but he shunned me.

“I called one of his brothers, who also came to talk to him. But he said he would sell his motorcycle and return to the village.

“This morning, one of the other children came to call me that their father was dangling from the ceiling. I ran there and met him dead.”

The state Police Public Relations officer, PPRO, SP Muyiwa Adejobi, while confirming the incident, said the police did not suspect any foul play.

Adejobi, however, said the victim’s wife in her statement said she met her husband’s corpse after returning from their children’s school, where she had gone to pay school fees.

He said, “The man’s wife, Esther, reported at the station that she went to the children’s school to settle their school fees and on her return, she discovered that her husband, Monday, had committed suicide by hanging himself with a rope.

“Detectives visited the scene and took pictures. All necessary arrangements have been put in place to move the body to the mortuary. No foul play suspected, while investigations are ongoing.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Two Nigerian Brothers Plead Guilty To S*xual Extortion In Us After Suicide Death Of Teenage Boy
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Two Nigerian Brothers Plead Guilty To S*xual Extortion In Us After Suicide Death Of Teenage Boy

Two Killed As Drunk Driver Crashes Into Bus In Ogun State
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Two Killed As Drunk Driver Crashes Into Bus In Ogun State

44-Year-Old Man Commits Suicide After Killing His Own Wife
Forum | 3 weeks ago

44-Year-Old Man Commits Suicide After Killing His Own Wife

Avoid Being A Victim Of Ritual Killing - Ogun State Police Command Warns Girls Against Engaging In Pr*stitution
Forum | 4 weeks ago

Avoid Being A Victim Of Ritual Killing - Ogun State Police Command Warns Girls Against Engaging In Pr*stitution