Chelsea manager Tuchel insists Lukaku could start Carabao Cup final

Forum 2 years ago

Chelsea manager Tuchel insists Lukaku could start Carabao Cup final

Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel insists Romelu Lukaku is in contention for Sunday's Carabao Cup final against Liverpool.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/922367bfae4e8f6dae1afb52cfe7c188.jpeg

Lukaku was dropped for the Champions League last-16 first leg with Lille on Tuesday, with his replacement Kai Havertz going on to score in the 2-0 victory.

Speaking after the game, Tuchel was asked if Lukaku had a chance to play on Sunday.

"Every game is different. The focus today was on intensity, a high-speed game and lots of hard work against the ball, off the ball, to have intensive teamwork and Romelu has struggled in the last games a little bit to deliver that.

"That's what I meant when I said he was tired, not only mentally tired but also physically tired, which I can understand.

"Since the Liverpool game [on 2 January] he started every match for us and there was some extra-time as well. It is like this and today we went for three other players and Kai is in good shape with a lot of confidence and work-rate.

"That was the decision today. For Sunday, we have four days to decide and to recover and of course Romelu has every chance to play."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Gary Lineker compares Chelsea forward to Messi
Forum | 17 hours ago

EPL: Gary Lineker compares Chelsea forward to Messi

Chelsea has taken first step to sign Osimhen – Transfer expert
Forum | 17 hours ago

Chelsea has taken first step to sign Osimhen – Transfer expert

EPL: Don’t spend money – Owen Hargreaves advises Chelsea on two signings to make this summer
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: Don’t spend money – Owen Hargreaves advises Chelsea on two signings to make this summer

Chukwueze doubtful for Super Eagles World Cup Qualifiers
Forum | 1 day ago

Chukwueze doubtful for Super Eagles World Cup Qualifiers