Sad: ‘Girls released from Boko Haram captivity rejected by society’

Forum 8 years ago

Sad: ‘Girls released from Boko Haram captivity rejected by society’

Girls and women kidnapped by Nigeria’s insurgent group, Jam?at Ahl as-Sunnah lid-dawa wal-Jih?d (JAS), commonly known as Boko Haram, face mistrust and persecution upon their return to society, according to new research by International Alert and UNICEF.

“These findings show a pressing need to do more to re-integrate those returning from captivity by Boko Haram,” says Alert’s peacebuilding adviser in Nigeria, Kimairis Toogood. “Many of these girls already face lasting trauma of sexual violence and being separated from their families, so we must ensure they get all the support they need when they finally return.”

At least 2,000 women and girls have been physically abducted by Boko Haram since 2012, including more than 200 girls in 2014 from their secondary school in Chibok local government area (LGA) in Borno state in April 2014. Many of them have experienced sexual violence or sometimes trained to fight or encouraged to become suicide bombers. Many more women have also been held hostage by Boko Haram in their own local LGAs.

However, as rescue efforts continue by the Nigerian government and military, and many of the survivors are returning home, the community perceptions of them and children born out of sexual violence by Boko Haram, and their integration and relocation, are proving difficult

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Wonder Woman 3: Chris Pine ‘Stunned’ After DC Rejected Sequel
Forum | 1 day ago

Wonder Woman 3: Chris Pine ‘Stunned’ After DC Rejected Sequel

I’ve Been In Love With Girls For My Whole Life – Billie Eilish
Forum | 2 weeks ago

I’ve Been In Love With Girls For My Whole Life – Billie Eilish

Grosse Pointe Garden Society Cast Adds Aja Naomi King to NBC Murder Drama
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Grosse Pointe Garden Society Cast Adds Aja Naomi King to NBC Murder Drama