Nyanya blast victim demands promised artificial leg, N1m

Forum 9 years ago

Nyanya blast victim demands promised artificial leg, N1m

Modu after the blast | credits: Photos: Friday Olokor
A victim of the first bomb blast in a motor park in Nyanya in the Federal Capital Territory, Miss Mary Modu, has urged the Minister of the FCT, Senator Bala Mohammed, to redeem the pledge of N1m and an artificial leg made to her.

One of Modu’s legs was amputated apart from the surgeries she underwent on her chest and back due to the incident.

The 27-year-old, who was until the April 14 blast, a trader selling clothes and shoes, has just been discharged from the Wuse General Hospital, Abuja.

It was learnt that she was the last of the victims to leave the hospital due to the severity of her condition.

Modu spoke with our correspondent shortly after a visit to her by the Knight of Saint Mulumba, Abuja Sub-Council of the Catholic Church, led by Dr. Frank Odafen. A sum of N73,000 was donated to her during the visit.

Modu appealed to the Minister to come to her aid by providing the artificial leg so that she could walk again.

She said shortly after the blast, Mohammed had paid a visit to the Wuse General Hospital and had promised her a cash donation of N1m and an artificial leg to assist her to walk again.

The victim added that the Minister had promised that the cash would reach her the following day after his visit, adding that the money had yet to reach her.

She said, “I was involved in the first bomb blast in Nyanya. Before then, I was a businesswoman, selling clothes and shoes. I was on my way to the market on the fateful day. I had bought a fare ticket and was standing on the queue to board a vehicle when the blast occurred.

“I feel sad everyday seeing myself in my present condition, but I am consoled that at least I am alive. The Minister of the FCT, Bala Mohammed, visited us immediately the incident happened. He promised that he would give me some money to take care of my feeding. He also promised that the government would give me an artificial leg. Since then, I have not heard from him.

“I dont know how to reach him. The Minister made a promise that he would give me N1m and an artificial leg. That was immediately the incident happened. I could remember that it was on a Saturday that he came here and promised to provide those things the following Monday. But I have not seen him or any representative from him since then.”

Modu said efforts made by her family to follow up on the promise, including writing several letters, were rebuffed. She added that whenever her relatives went to the Minister’s office, his aides always chased them away.

She said, “If the government does not do anything concerning my artificial leg, I would feel bad. I know that my treatment here was free, but I need an artificial leg to walk again.”

Earlier, while presenting the cash, Odafen who is also Chairman, Association of Nigerian Private Medical Practitioners, said the money was meant to assist the victim in the payment of her accommodation.

He said, “The message I have for people here is that we should pray that such incidents never happen again in this country and we should encourage the victims to have hope. Nigerians should be benevolent and spend their time, their energy, their resources in helping the less privileged, in helping crisis victims who have become downtrodden through no fault of theirs.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Jnr Pope: What Exactly Is Her Crime? She Was Only A Victim Of Circumstance - Uche Ogbodo Defends Movie Producer, Adanma Luke
Forum | 1 week ago

Jnr Pope: What Exactly Is Her Crime? She Was Only A Victim Of Circumstance - Uche Ogbodo Defends Movie Producer, Adanma Luke

Organised Labour Presents Fresh Proposal To FG, Demands ₦615,000 Minimum Wage
Forum | 1 week ago

Organised Labour Presents Fresh Proposal To FG, Demands ₦615,000 Minimum Wage

Troops Raid Kidnappers
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Troops Raid Kidnappers' Hideout, Arrest 3 Suspects, Rescue Victim In Taraba

Igboho Sues Gani Adams For Defamation, Demands N500m Damages
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Igboho Sues Gani Adams For Defamation, Demands N500m Damages