FG warns newly-inducted doctors not to embark on strike, says it is unethical

Forum 2 years ago

FG warns newly-inducted doctors not to embark on strike, says it is unethical

The Federal Government has warned newly-inducted medical graduates to desist from partaking in strike actions, describing it as “unethical” to the profession.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/19706db8b7fb928cea1f57df708229b0.jpg

This was disclosed in a statement on Sunday by Minister of Labour and Employment, Sen. Chris Ngige while speaking at the induction of six medical graduates of the University of Abuja (UniAbuja) into the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN).

The Minister revealed his son is also part of the newly inducted medical graduates, and warned that if doctors embark on strikes, people die.

Read: ASUU postpones decision on strike, to resist attempts of blackmail by FG

What the Minister is saying

While delivering his speech, Ngige said, “I am a medical doctor. One of you being inducted here is my second son. My first son is also a medical doctor. My daughter is also a medical doctor. By virtue of ethics, our oath as doctors is to save lives. That is our primary duty.

He warned that if doctors go on strike, people die. “That is the truth. Human life is irreplaceable. How do you bring back people who have died as a result of doctors not being at their duty posts?

He also warned that it is unethical for doctors to go on strike, citing it goes against the interest of the profession

“It is unethical for doctors to embark on strike. I have said it so many times in the past and I will continue to say it. doctors should not go on strike. Therefore, you should desist from going on strike in the interest of humanity and our noble profession,” he said.

Read: Railway Workers Strike: FG pleads with workers to return to post, says requests are being considered

What you should know

Over the past months, Nigeria has experienced frequent strike actions by Resident Doctors over the poor welfare of health workers in general.

Recall Nairametrics reported last month that the Federal Government said that it will announce a final decision on the proposed new hazard allowance for health workers.

Labour Minister, Ngige stated that the review of the hazard allowance is part of the efforts of the government to make people in the medical and health system happy and have confidence in the sector, thereby stemming the tide of ‘brain drain’.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
I’m Grateful - Ini Edo Says As She Celebrates 42nd Birthday
Forum | 16 hours ago

I’m Grateful - Ini Edo Says As She Celebrates 42nd Birthday

Jerry Seinfeld Says Movie Business Is ‘Over’
Forum | 1 day ago

Jerry Seinfeld Says Movie Business Is ‘Over’

Breaking Bad’s Anna Gunn Says People’s Attitude Toward Skyler Has Changed
Forum | 1 day ago

Breaking Bad’s Anna Gunn Says People’s Attitude Toward Skyler Has Changed

Don’t Give Admission to Candidates Less Than 18 Years – FG Warns Tertiary Institutions
Forum | 1 day ago

Don’t Give Admission to Candidates Less Than 18 Years – FG Warns Tertiary Institutions