See Ten Habits That Damage Your Teeth

Forum 8 years ago

See Ten Habits That Damage Your Teeth

Everybody loves a beautiful smile. Sometimes I stand in front of the mirror trying to find the perfect smile. But What is a beautiful smile with bad sets of teeth. I had previously written an article on how we can whiten our stained teeth and I hope it was really helpful. If you haven’t read it then you can see it here. I have also shared various foods that can help in keeping our teeth healthy.

However we need to know the various habits that contribute to the damaging of our teeth.In this article we are going to discuss some of the habits so you can abstain from them. Most of these habits are our day to day lifestyle. Most people think all they need to do is to brush their teeth morning and night and all will be well. But it goes beyond that and we all need to propagate this gospel.

Here Are 10 Habits That Damage Your Teeth

1. Drinking Coffee
It is very simple. Coffee will stain your teeth and most times because of its bitter raw taste most people add lots of sugar. This is dangerous because it will wear the teeth enamel. So reduce your coffee intake and rinse your mouth with plenty water after taking it. You should also reduce the additives, the blacker the better.

2. Natural Teeth-Opener
This is a general habit amongst us all and there is even a bragging right for the person with the best skill. We open anything with our mouth especially cork of drinks. You might be good with the teeth and it might actually be very comfortable to do. But you might chip your enamel or injure your gum from the act. Always keep a cork opener close or a screw driver to improvise.

3. Smoking
I don’t need to discuss this too much because we see it in our everyday lives. Smokers have stained teeth as the smoke will discolour the enamel. It can also be the cause of gum disease.
Tobacco can also cause cancer of the mouth, lips, and tongue. If you were looking for one more reason to quit, think of your smile. There is no reason to indulge in this habit as it has no usefulness. I have already written an article on why we should stop smoking.

4. Alcohol Consumption
This is a very common habit that we cannot eradicate. Alcohol causes dehydration and dry mouth. People who drink excessively may find their saliva flow is reduced over time, which can lead to tooth decay and other oral infections such as gum disease. Heavy alcohol use also increases your risk for mouth cancer. Drink alot of water after consuming alcohol and brush your teeth thoroughly. Red wine can stain your teeth and the acids in it will wear your enamel. You might think sticking to white wine would spare your teeth. But the acids still weaken the enamel, leaving the teeth porous and vulnerable to staining from other beverages.

[ads4]
5. Too Much Citrus Intake
The truth is that frequent exposures to acidic foods can erode enamel, making teeth more susceptible to decay over time. So even though a a sq££ze of lemon or lime can turn a simple glass of water into a fun beverage, it’s not always the best choice for your mouth. Citric fruits and juices can also irritate mouth sores.
Make sure to drink plenty of plain water.
Remember that when you take your juices and citrus fruits you should rinse your mouth with a lot of water.

6. The Sugar Addiction
Most of us have sweet tooth and crave for all things sugary. I wrote an article on the myth of the substance ‘SUGAR’. There is a sugar attack on your enamel and there is a bacteria invasion that destroys your enamel and gum.
Cravings for ice creams, pastries, refined sugar, soft drinks and even chocolate drinks and bars and various types of junk food you can find. You can also see all the reasons you need to stop eating junk food.

7. Chewing on Ice
I am also guilty of this habit. We cant stop on just taking almost iced water but we want to enjoy the feeling that comes with chewing on ice. You might be wondering how because it has no sugar in it but the chewing might just chip our teeth or it can irritate the gum tissues. So we need to stop this habit.

8. Soda Drink Addiction
I recently revealed the hard truth about soda drinks andI know you learnt a lot from it. The soda drinks also contain high amount of sugar that is bad for the teeth. They also contain acids that eat away at the teeth enamel. You may want to stick to the diet sodas because they contain less sugars but they are more acidic and will wear your enamel the more. When you take sodas make sure you you clean your teeth with plenty of water as some sodas can also stain your teeth. Cut down on your soda intake.

9. Eating Gummy Candies
Well this is known to most of us because it has been overermphasised. All sugary treats promote tooth decay, but some candies are harder to bear. Gummies stick in the teeth, keeping the sugar and resulting acids in contact with your enamel for hours. If your day just isn’t the same without a gummy critter, pop a couple during a meal instead of as a separate snack. More saliva is produced during meals, which helps rinse away candy bits and acids.

10. Chewing On Pencils
Do you ever chew on your pencil or biro when concentrating on work or studies? Yes you all do this. Like crunching on ice, this habit can cause teeth to chip or crack. Sugarless gum is a better option when you feel the need to chew. It will trigger the flow of saliva, which can make teeth stronger and protect against enamel-eating acids.

Stay Healthy!!!

Credits To DoctorSays

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Damaged Trailer: Samuel L. Jackson Leads Crime Thriller Movie
Forum | 1 month ago

Damaged Trailer: Samuel L. Jackson Leads Crime Thriller Movie

EPL: He’ll do damage – Gallas reveals club Osimhen will join this summer
Forum | 2 months ago

EPL: He’ll do damage – Gallas reveals club Osimhen will join this summer

Nigerian Policemen Damage Eye Of 12-Year-Old Schoolgirl With Teargas Canister, Abandon Her At Lagos General Hospital
Forum | 2 months ago

Nigerian Policemen Damage Eye Of 12-Year-Old Schoolgirl With Teargas Canister, Abandon Her At Lagos General Hospital

Angry Youths Seek Jungle Justice, Damage Police Post, Burn Vehicles To Demand Suspect Arrested For Killing Friend Over Phone Charger In Abuja
Forum | 2 months ago

Angry Youths Seek Jungle Justice, Damage Police Post, Burn Vehicles To Demand Suspect Arrested For Killing Friend Over Phone Charger In Abuja