Rivers seventh fire incident in two weeks guts 50 makeshift structures

Forum 2 years ago

Rivers seventh fire incident in two weeks guts 50 makeshift structures

No fewer than 50 makeshift buildings were destroyed on Sunday when a fire broke out in Rumuokalagbor community, in the Port Harcourt Local Government Area of Rivers State.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/2d3a6ce08dbcd338f040ae7a5fdea88d.jpg

The latest is the seventh fire incident in the state within two weeks.

Eyewitnesses said the fire started when a teenage boy was cooking close to some containers of kerosene meant for sale by his parents.

They valued property and goods destroyed in the inferno at millions of naira, adding that most residents could not salvage their belongings.

Our correspondent, who visited the scene, observed as thick smokes from the fire billowed into the atmosphere, while men of the Federal Fire Service battled to put out the fire. They later ran out of water.

A female resident said, “It was a small boy that was cooking noodles and there was kerosene in the kitchen. The boy may have forgotten he left the stove on. It was from there the fire started and spread to other buildings that night.”

Also, a male tenant said, “The money I was using for my business was in the house. Everything we had, including my husband’s documents, was destroyed.”

The owner of the property, Sylverline Kalagbor, described the incident as unfortunate and called for support from the government for the displaced residents.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
How AC Explosion Caused The inferno At University Of Ilorin Teaching Hospital – Fire Service Gives Update
Forum | 1 day ago

How AC Explosion Caused The inferno At University Of Ilorin Teaching Hospital – Fire Service Gives Update

Rivers Police Kill Executioner-General Who Was Declared For Serial Murders
Forum | 1 week ago

Rivers Police Kill Executioner-General Who Was Declared For Serial Murders

Fubara, Not Wike Is The New Political Leader Of Rivers State - Odili
Forum | 1 week ago

Fubara, Not Wike Is The New Political Leader Of Rivers State - Odili

One Person Dead, 8 Injured In Dosunmu Market Fire – Lagos Govt Gives Update
Forum | 1 week ago

One Person Dead, 8 Injured In Dosunmu Market Fire – Lagos Govt Gives Update