I’m Still Qualified To Rule Bayelsa — Chief Timipre Sylva

Forum 8 years ago

I’m Still Qualified To Rule Bayelsa — Chief Timipre Sylva

Former Governor of Bayelsa State, Chief Timipre Sylva, has said he is still eligible and qualified to contest the governorship election in the state.

Sylva, who is now the Leader of the All Progressives Congress in the state, was stopped from contesting for the second term in office in 2011 by the Peoples Democratic Party allegedly due to pressure from former President Goodluck Jonathan.

The former governor, who spoke with select journalists in Yenagoa on Friday evening, clarified his position about the coming governorship election in Bayelsa.

He urged Bayelsans not to worry whether he would run or not, saying the decision to contest is largely dependent on the leadership of the APC.

Sylva said, “Bayelsa people should not be worried about whether I run or not. What they should be worried about is whether the APC is fielding a candidate or not. It is not about me. It is about the APC.

“But you should know that I am still eligible and qualified to contest under the law. But whether I am running or not will be determined by the party. The APC will take the final decision and whoever the party picks will win Bayelsa State.”

Sylva also frowned on the status of a hero of democracy accorded Jonathan following his decision to concede defeat to President Muhammadu Buhari during the last presidential election.

He said Jonathan’s attempts to scuttle the election disqualified him from benefiting from such heroic status.

Sylva said, “For me, conceding defeat is not an achievement. Let us take a look at the event, they tried everything to subvert and thwart.
[ads4]

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Shake-Up In EFCC As Olukoyede Appoints Chief Of Staff, 14 Directors
Forum | 1 week ago

Shake-Up In EFCC As Olukoyede Appoints Chief Of Staff, 14 Directors

Court Fixes May 17 To Rule On Detained Binance Executive
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Court Fixes May 17 To Rule On Detained Binance Executive's Request For Bail

Court Fixes Date to Rule on Substituted Service on Yahaya Bello
Forum | 2 weeks ago