Ex-Leeds striker Keane convinced Phillips frustrated in makeshift role

1 week ago

Former Leeds United striker Robbie Keane believes Kalvin Phillips was frustrated being played at the back for defeat to Tottenham.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/4063c000e2bb3b6c6fde487d1056d817.jpeg

It was an impressive performance throughout from Marcelo Bielsa's side, with Phillips starting in a back-three alongside Diego Llorente and Liam Cooper.

This was to nulify the threat of Harry Kane, who likes to drop deep into space, and the 25-year-old coped with him superbly as the forward struggled to have much of an impact.

After the game, Phillips was questioned about why he played as a defender, rather than his more familiar central midfield position.

"To be honest I don't know why he did it. We wanted to be more defensive. Me and Liam went man for man marking," Phillips said.

Ex-Leeds and Tottenham star Keane responded on Sky Sports: "There's definitely something there that he wanted to say a little bit more."

Related Forums
Man Utd striker Cavani welcomes interest from Xavi
Forum

Man Utd striker Cavani welcomes interest from Xavi's Barcelona

2 days ago
Jessica Henwick Turned Down Shang-Chi Role for The Matrix 4
Forum

Jessica Henwick Turned Down Shang-Chi Role for The Matrix 4

2 days ago
Everton boss Benitez confident frustrated fans behind players for Liverpool clash
Forum

Everton boss Benitez confident frustrated fans behind players for Liverpool clash

3 days ago
Crystal Palace defender Ward stresses positives after Leeds defeat
Forum

Crystal Palace defender Ward stresses positives after Leeds defeat

3 days ago