Group praises Osun governor over VAPP Law

Forum 2 years ago

Group praises Osun governor over VAPP Law

A non-government organisation, HACEY Health Initiative has applauded Osun State Governor, Adegboyega Oyetola for passing the Osun Violence Against Persons Prohibition (VAPP) Law.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/c65d0cc127b81090bca1fb2befae6af3.jpg

In a statement by the Executive Director, HACEY Health Initiaitve, Rhoda Robinson, the group said that such laws would promote women’s health while reducing incidents of gender-based violence in the state.

Speaking about the organisation’s visit to Osun State Speaker, she said: “We recall that our StopCut project team paid a joint advocacy visit, with the members of the End Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Alliance, to the Speaker of the House of Assembly, Osun State, Timothy Owoeye in August, to introduce the StopCut project and advocate for the adaptation of the VAPP Act and the amendment of the Osun State FGM law 2004.”

Speaking on Female Genital Mutilation, Robinson said over 20 million women and girls in Nigeria have experienced the harmful practice, which has contributed to maternal health complications including obstetric fistula and painful sexual experience, among others.

She also noted that Osun state has made progress in reducing the prevalence of the FGM and encouraged the state to intensify efforts especially in endemic local governments.

According to her, Research conducted by HACEY revealed that over 35 per cent of women in Osun have a girl child who has been circumcised, with the highest proportion reported in Ife North LGA (54.2%) closely followed by Iwo LGA (47.7%).

HACEY had previously called on the governor during their visit to enforce laws and policies that protect women and girls from FGM, such as the VAPP act, adding that it was an important strategy for reducing the practice among community members.

The law will serve as a key tool for the crusade and fight for the elimination of all forms of violence against girls and women.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EFCC vs Yahaya Bello: Ex-Kogi Governor Has Lost Immunity, Can Be Arrested, Prosecuted – Falana
Forum | 1 day ago

EFCC vs Yahaya Bello: Ex-Kogi Governor Has Lost Immunity, Can Be Arrested, Prosecuted – Falana

How My Son Was Killed By Vigilante Group – Bauchi District Head Reveals
Forum | 2 days ago

Heavy Security As Court Rules On Bail Of Governor Adeleke’s Ally, Oyeyemi
Forum | 3 days ago

Heavy Security As Court Rules On Bail Of Governor Adeleke’s Ally, Oyeyemi

Forum | 3 days ago