DONE DEAL: Brighton sign Gary Dicker from Kilmarnock

Forum 2 years ago

DONE DEAL: Brighton sign Gary Dicker from Kilmarnock

Gary Dicker is returning to Brighton as over-age player in the under-23 squad.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/eaa64e3f1109d4090774ec03141b2b1e.jpg

The 34-year-old midfielder made more than 150 appearances for Albion after joining in March 2009 from Stockport County. He made the move permanent in July 2009 and spent the next four seasons with the club.

Technical Director Dan Ashworth explained, “We wanted to continue with the mentoring role, via an overage player in the under-23s, as it proved very successful with Andrew Crofts in that role. When we had conversations about who might come into the role Gary stood out because of his links to the club, his interest in coaching and because he's still got a lot to offer as a player, both in terms of what he can bring to the team and the positive influence he can have on the other players. We're delighted he's back at Brighton and are looking forward to working with him."

Head of Academy John Morling said, “Gary is a top professional and the players in the under-23s will benefit from his knowledge and experience. This role also gives him an opportunity to develop his coaching career and we wish him all the best for his new role."

Dicker said he is thrilled to be back at a club which has always been close to his heart.

“I'm absolutely delighted to have been given this opportunity, which I think is perfect for me. I was honoured to be asked.

“I believe I can be a good influence with the young players on the pitch by passing on my experience and being an important part of the team while learning more about coaching from the great coaches there are at the club. The club has made unbelievable progress, with so many great young players coming through, and I'm looking forward to helping that continue."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: I actually like him – Gary Neville on Chelsea striker who has missed 21 big chances
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: I actually like him – Gary Neville on Chelsea striker who has missed 21 big chances

FG To Abuja-Lokoja-Benin Road Contractors: Sign Contract In Two Days Or Forfeit Job
Forum | 4 days ago

FG To Abuja-Lokoja-Benin Road Contractors: Sign Contract In Two Days Or Forfeit Job

EPL: They’re not out of title race – Gary Neville reacts to Arsenal’s 2-0 defeat to Villa
Forum | 2 weeks ago

EPL: They’re not out of title race – Gary Neville reacts to Arsenal’s 2-0 defeat to Villa

UCL: They will struggle – Gary Neville predicts Arsenal vs Bayern Munich clash
Forum | 3 weeks ago

UCL: They will struggle – Gary Neville predicts Arsenal vs Bayern Munich clash