Buhari should parley with secessionist Igbos, Yorubas: Kingsley Moghalu

Forum 2 years ago

Buhari should parley with secessionist Igbos, Yorubas: Kingsley Moghalu

Kingsley Moghalu has advised President Muhammadu Buhari to parley with secessionist Igbos and Yorubas and write a news constitution to save the country from further chaos.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/e92afca66b5a415358d58e3ec6d6fcbe.png

He also recommended that Mr Buhari establish a truth and reconciliation committee to address current security and other challenges in the country.

Mr Moghalu, a former deputy governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, stated this at a press conference on Tuesday in Abuja while reiterating his intention to contest the presidency in 2023.

He added that members of the committee, one from each geopolitical zone in the country, should be of high reputation and relevant expertise.

He further stated that one international member assigned from the United Nations or South Africa should be part of the committee.

Mr Moghalu said the committee should be given a six-month mandate to examine, especially the events of January 1966 to January 1970, invite witnesses, survivors, and critical players still alive to make statements.

Such persons, he said, should also make recommendations that would promote national reconciliation by turning historical memories into a positive force for mutual forgiveness and nation-building.

”President Buhari should invite all secessionist agitation movements to a national dialogue in order to give them a hearing with a view to addressing credible, verifiable grievances.

”Concrete actions toward the establishment of a Constituent Assembly to begin framing a new constitution, with legislative support from the National Assembly, should be initiated jointly by the presidency,” he said.

The presidential hopeful added that the government should collaborate with the national assembly and representatives of ethnic nationalities, traditional rulers, the clergy, and civil society.

He also recommended the appointment of a panel of historians, with equal representation from the northern and southern parts of Nigeria, to review and agree on a curriculum of contemporary national history.

Mr Moghalu advised that primary and secondary schools should teach the Nigerian Civil War from the specific perspective of lessons learnt, national healing, and reconciliation.

”To build our nation, we must confront our history and embrace reconciliation.

”I am making the recommendations as a contribution to stopping immediately, the current bleeding of our country, beyond my personal intervention.

”In my recent declaration of my interest to contest in the 2023 presidential election, I pledged to unify Nigeria,” he said.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Buhari’s Ex-aide Reacts As APC Suspends Ganduje
Forum | 4 days ago

Buhari’s Ex-aide Reacts As APC Suspends Ganduje

Publish Loan Agreements By Obasanjo, Yar’Adua, Jonathan And Buhari - Serap Tells President Tinubu
Forum | 5 days ago

Publish Loan Agreements By Obasanjo, Yar’Adua, Jonathan And Buhari - Serap Tells President Tinubu

Forum | 5 days ago

Let Us Support Tinubu, Governors - Buhari Appeals To Nigerians
Forum | 1 week ago

Let Us Support Tinubu, Governors - Buhari Appeals To Nigerians