CJN warns new FCT chief judge Salisu Garba against vendetta

Forum 2 years ago

CJN warns new FCT chief judge Salisu Garba against vendetta

Chief Justice of Nigeria Tanko Muhammad has warned the newly sworn-in Chief Judge of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Salisu Garba, against any ‘voyage of vendetta.’

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/846f13dd03b2b1006b3ca56a82c2cb71.png

He also stated that he would not condone any act of recklessness from Mr Garba.

Mr Muhammad gave the warning at the swearing-in ceremony of Mr Garba as the chief judge in Abuja on Monday.

“The exercise that has just taken place should, in no way, be taken for granted or simply tagged as one of those usual ceremonies merely required to fulfil set procedures and obligations. With me sitting before you, I will confidently tell you that this is an oath like no other.

“I am saying this because as the Chief Justice of Nigeria, I will not condone any act of recklessness, abuse of power and public trust, and above all, the misuse of God-endowed opportunities,” said Mr Muhammad.

He added, “I should remind Your Lordship that trust is a burden, and you must discharge it with utmost sincerity, honesty, and transparency, as conscience is an open wound which only truth can heal. You must resolutely rise and operate above every sentiment that might play out in the course of your tenure.

“I have a personal and official knowledge of my lord for a very long time as a studious and visionary judicial officer and I am absolutely confident that nothing contrary shall steer us in the face by virtue of this new status.”

He warned that anything short of that “will place you on a collision course with history, and God will ask you the questions that you might not be confident enough to answer.”

Mr Muhammad urged the new chief judge not to embark on any “voyage of vendetta.”

On April 28, the Senate confirmed Mr Garba as substantive chief judge of the FCT high court. Mr Garba has been acting after the retirement of Ishaq Bello in January 2021

Mr Garba hails from the Malumfashi local government area of Katsina.

He was called to the Bar in 1984, and he completed the compulsory one-year service (NYSC) in 1985. Mr Garba was appointed as a magistrate of the FCT high court in 1989. In 1997, he became the chief registrar of the FCT high court and appointed a judge of the court in 1998.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Zinoleesky Shades Haters, Announces New Album Release Date on IG Live
Forum | 12 hours ago

Zinoleesky Shades Haters, Announces New Album Release Date on IG Live

Fans Overjoyed As Ayra Starr Hints At New Album Release
Forum | 12 hours ago

Fans Overjoyed As Ayra Starr Hints At New Album Release

Neuromancer: Masters of the Air’s Callum Turner Joins Cast of New Apple TV+ Sci-Fi Series
Forum | 17 hours ago

Neuromancer: Masters of the Air’s Callum Turner Joins Cast of New Apple TV+ Sci-Fi Series

Trying Season 4 Trailer Previews New Chapter in Apple TV+ Comedy
Forum | 1 day ago

Trying Season 4 Trailer Previews New Chapter in Apple TV+ Comedy