England coach Southgate admits Leicester ace Maddison just not up to it

Forum 2 years ago

England coach Southgate admits Leicester ace Maddison just not up to it

Gareth Southgate says Leicester City playmaker James Maddison was simply not as good as his rivals to earn a place in England's squad for Euro2020.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/3427bcde0a989f203c86901ed4e61bda.jpeg

Maddison was a notable name absent from Southgate's provisional 33-man squad.

Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Mason Mount, and Jesse Lingard are among the attacking midfielders selected for the Three Lions.

Southgate also suggested Maddison had not yet recovered from a hip injury due to Youri Tielemans taking set-piece responsibilities for the Foxes.

"It's an area of the pitch where we have unbelievable competition for places," Southgate said in his news conference. "We just feel there are players ahead of James in those areas of the pitch.

"He's had a season that's unfortunately been disrupted by injury and in more recent weeks he hasn't always been starting as well.

"It's been quite interesting, he hasn't been taking set-pieces, Tielemans has been taking their set-plays. I don't know if there's anything more involved in that.

"In the most simple terms we feel we've got players in that area of the pitch and at the moment we see them as just ahead of James."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
We Are Just Friends - American Woman Seen In Cosy Picture With Davido Clarifies
Forum | 3 days ago

We Are Just Friends - American Woman Seen In Cosy Picture With Davido Clarifies

Omeruo urges NFF to appoint new coach for Super Eagles before World Cup qualifiers
Forum | 6 days ago

Omeruo urges NFF to appoint new coach for Super Eagles before World Cup qualifiers

EPL: I want to coach top team – Fabregas hints at return to England
Forum | 6 days ago

EPL: I want to coach top team – Fabregas hints at return to England

How Seven People Drown In Just One Week — Lagos Police Reveals
Forum | 6 days ago

How Seven People Drown In Just One Week — Lagos Police Reveals