We should scrap this constitution and adopt the 1963 constitution that can contain everything that is being agitated for now - Sagay

Forum 2 years ago

We should scrap this constitution and adopt the 1963 constitution that can contain everything that is being agitated for now - Sagay

Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC), Itse Sagay has called for the adoption of the 1963 constitution which he said will address the current agitations in some parts of the country.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/350bf924e57ca66a59bae38529f7f2e6.jpg

Sagay who spoke in an interview on Channels Television on Monday May 24, said scrapping of the 1999 constitution and adoption of the 1963 constitution will make everyone happy.

He said;

“My own personal preference is that we should scrap this constitution (referring to the 1999 constitution) and adopt the 1963 constitution that can contain everything that is being agitated for now.

“We adopt it, with amendments here and there, to make it accomodate states rather than regions, which we used to have.

“I think all these agitations will die down and everybody will be happy.”

Sagay also recounted how regional government controlled all aspects of his life while in secondary school.

He added;

“When I was in secondary school, I knew nothing about the federal government, I only knew about Ibadan and Awolowo. The region controlled my life from A to Z.

“I knew nothing about the federal government. Everything worked perfectly, beautifully and happily. So, that is what we are missing.

“The regions competed. Nigeria developed fast. The regions kept what they produced, sent 20 percent to the federal level, and then 30 percent to a distributable level, which was then distributed to the regions, according to their needs.

“And everybody was happy. We just have to go back to that. Otherwise, Nigerians will not enjoy stability.”

In the 1963 republican constitution, Nigeria had four regions — east, north, west, and mid-west, with independent structures that reflected its peculiarities.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Electricity Tariff Hike: Scrap Bands A, B, C Nonsense – Economist, Ayalowo Tells Tinubu, NERC
Forum | 1 day ago

Electricity Tariff Hike: Scrap Bands A, B, C Nonsense – Economist, Ayalowo Tells Tinubu, NERC

Container Falls On A Car In Lagos, Kills Passenger While Driver Escaped Unhurt
Forum | 4 days ago

Container Falls On A Car In Lagos, Kills Passenger While Driver Escaped Unhurt

Injuries, loss of momentum – Analyst makes case for FIFA to scrap March international break
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Injuries, loss of momentum – Analyst makes case for FIFA to scrap March international break

Adopt New Strategies – Shehu Sani Reacts To The Rescue Of Kidnapped 287 Kuriga Students
Forum | 3 weeks ago

Adopt New Strategies – Shehu Sani Reacts To The Rescue Of Kidnapped 287 Kuriga Students