Asu Ekiye is a popular and talented multi-award winning Nigerian gospel singer who has made a big name for himself in the gospel music.
He was born and raised in Bayelsa state in south southern Nigeria. The gospel luminary is a trained accountant and had a very humble beginning in gospel music.
Asu Ekiye had his primary education at different parts of Nigeria and secondary education at the Hussey College Warri, Delta State because of his father’s military career which took them virtually round the country.
He later bagged a Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy at the Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt.
Ekiye worked briefly in the oil service sector before he eventually made a successful career in the gospel music.
For ten years Asu Ekiye worked as a music director in various churches in Port Harcourt even while working as an accountant.
Ekiye became professionally known in December 2001 when he released his popular hit, Woekilemo, regarded as the music that opened the Niger Delta or the south south people to the outside world.
The gospel icon has made several international performances in various African Churches and Christian concerts.
Ekiye has performed alongside world greats like, Kirk Franklin, Donie Mcclurkin, Cece Winans, Kurt Carr, Don Moen, Israel Houghton, Lionel Peterson and many others.
Asu Ekiye has several musical albums to his credit including Back to Base 1, Back to base 2, Back to Base 3 and Na God and others.
Awards and Nominations
Asu Ekiye has so far received several prestigious awards both nationally and internationally. They include:
• 2007 Niger Delta Arts Award as Most Popular Culture Friendly Artist.
• 2005 Toma Awards Today’s Music Awards as Most Popular Gospel Album.
• 2005 Most Popular Male Album at Vigoma Awards.
• 2003 Best African Gospel Artist at Channel O Awards.
• 2004 Best Selling Artist at Decross Awards.
• 2004 Best African Gospel Artist at Channel O Awards.
• 2003 Best African Gospel Artist at the NTA Awards.
• 2003 Gospel Artist of the year at Amen Awards- (Awards For Musical Excellence in Nigeria).
• Nominated and won Channel O best Gospel Artist in South Africa.
Asu Ekiye is the first and only artist to have won the Channel O Music Award twice in the gospel category.
As a renowned and talented African gospel artist, Ekiye has received numerous awards across the world.
Ekiye is happily married to kunemofa and they are blessed with three children named Marvelous, Akpofeowei,Embeleakpor and Princess Fagha.
Asu Ekiye is one of the highly celebrated Nigerian gospel singers, rated one of the richest and most influential with an estimated net worth of about $500,000 dollars.