ALBUM REVIEW: Dotman - "Hakuna Matata"

Forum 3 years ago

ALBUM REVIEW: Dotman - "Hakuna Matata"

Nigerian-born singer, Olatunji Oladotun Alade also known as Dotman presents his debut album "Hakuna Matata".

The Ogun State-born singer and University of Lagos graduate who is signed to Labo Entertainment had a career breakthrough in 2017 which led to his performance at the Big Brother Naija eviction show in South Africa. After finding it difficult to get his colleagues to collaborate with him on his debut album, Dotman goes ahead to compile a 56minutes album of 17 songs.

In his debut album Hakuna Matata, Dotman exposed his untapped talent and vocal abilities.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/67443be06b8f97c6dac235a9882fd053.png

• The first track Pele is the perfect tune to start this journey. It's performed on a slow-paced afro-fusion alternative tune.

• Chop Life is a solo-performed song on the Hakuna Matata album. On first listening, I got emotional as I could relate to what it feels like to have after years of lack.

• Mind is a banger! It's a trap sound performed in the most Nigerian way ever.

• The next track Awe Refix is a danceable tune by Dotman.

• Hakuna Matata (Wahala) named after the album is a spiritual jam. Dotman uses situations and things around us to create the necessary imagery required to pass his message on this one.

• Number One didn't really sound so nice to me. I feel like Dotman was trying so hard to give us something different.

• Enter My Soul could be a song recorded some years back. It is a classic tune with reoccurring melodies.

• Dotman includes his recently released single Enugbe on the project.

• Let It Go is one of the bangers on this project. It is a melodic well-structured Afropop tune.

• In Feelings, Dotman tells an interesting story in the Yoruba dominated song previously released as a single.

• Tonight is another banging tune previously released as a single. Dotman sounded more relaxed on this one.

• In Giveaway, Fresh VDM and Dotman try to give fans a street vibe.

• Shuga is a groovy tune with lovely drumsticks accompanied by Dotman's sexy vocals. This is surely a club banger.

• The next track is a funky tune solo-performed by Dotman titled Mama. The thunderous track has awesome abilities to become one of the hit songs on this project.

• Duro is a groovy tune with sing-along lyrics.

• In a slow-tempo tune that combined rhythm and blues with pop and afrobeat elements, Dotman renders an unusual performance in Frenemies

• Dotman summarizes this experience with a gospel-like tune titled Blessed.

RATING

Lyrics - 3/5

Production - 4/5

Performance - 3/5

AVERAGE RATING - 3.5/5

BUY >> Dotman - "Hakuna Matata" Album on iTunes

DOWNLOAD >> Dotman - "Hakuna Matata" Album

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
How I Delayed My Debut Album Because of Tems – Tyla
Forum | 2 weeks ago