ALBUM REVIEW: Yung L - "Yaadman Kingsize"

Forum 3 years ago

ALBUM REVIEW: Yung L - "Yaadman Kingsize"

Nigerian singer, songwriter, and music performer, Yung L is officially known as Christopher Omenye returns with his sophomore album Yaadman Kingsize.

Yung L is a Nigerian-born singer and reggae artist who started off as with Ice Prince formerly called Endia, Chopstix, and J.Milla as a group called Grip Boiz back in Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria. He later went solo and was operating as an independent artist before joining Chocolate City.

Yung L gained an international audience when he jumped on Run Remix by Major Lazer. The song featured Skales, Nicki Minaj and PartyNextDoor and was released about the same time he released his debut album Better Late Than Never in 2017.

Since then, Yung L has released two more projects; Jollification EP (2019) and Juice & Zimm EP (2020). His new body of work, Yaadman Kingsize is an 11-track album featuring Wizkid, Tiggs Da Author, Seun Kuti, Shank, Abood Khiery, Rashid, and Sammany Hajo.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/a76a1e44da2910961620ef12f8cc77f0.png

• Yaadman (Intro) starts off on a cool note. Yung L takes us back to Jamaica with this new school reggae vibe. It's an epic reggae tune and a perfect intro for this project.

• Operator bangs! Chopstix gave Yung L a trap afro-house instrumental and Yung L attacks with reggae melodies. His approach shows how versatile his talent is.

• Tanzanian singer, rapper and composer, Tiggs Da Author joins Yung L in Womanizer. To say the least, I was swept off my feet with this tune.

• In an X-rated song, Yung L talks about Puna which means Pussy. The catchy hook "...na which kind puna we never see.." got me smiling (pardon me for being naughty, winks).

• Though sounded like Mr Eazi, Yung L tried to do something that is not in his comfort zone in Opp.

• Seun Kuti joins Yung L in a Spaxx produced tune titled Rasta. Unlike what we expected, the tune is a slow-paced melodic tune that's not reggae.

• I personally couldn't connect with this tune. Nevertheless, I think Shank and Yung L tried to tell the story of a hustling boy from J-town in Bwoy in the Killertunes tune.

• Starboy Entertainment boss, Wizkid and Yung L had earlier linked up on Eve Bounce remix prior to this album release. This tune is a banger!

• The next tune is nothing but fun and real and groove. Cool and Ease is just a slow-paced melodic tune with so many emotions as Yung L talks about positive vibes and blessings.

• Police & Thief is a hard tune. Though has a noiseless beat, Yung L kept the noise away in order to address the case of police brutality and corruption in Nigeria. He carefully and consciously addressed the End Sars situations in Nigeria, profiling and threw punches on PDP and APC.

• With Indian melodies, Abood Khiery, Rashid, and Sammany Hajo join Yung L in this seventy minutes outro tune titled Land of Light.

RATING

Lyrics - 3/5

Production - 3/5

Performance - 3/5

AVERAGE RATING - 3/5

BUY >> Yung L- "Yaadman Kingsize" Album on iTunes

DOWNLOAD >>Yung L- "Yaadman Kingsize" Album

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
How I Delayed My Debut Album Because of Tems – Tyla
Forum | 3 weeks ago