Former Celtic Star Defender Dies (PHOTO)

Forum 3 years ago

Former Celtic Star Defender Dies (PHOTO)

Former Celtic defender Johannes Edvaldsson has died at the age of 70.https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/84f9b6d683bf16c7a26fa9b29f76eac9.jpg

Edvaldsson, who was affectionately known as ‘Shuggy,’ was signed by Jock Stein in 1975 and went on to make 195 appearances for the club over the next five years scoring 38 goals.

The Iceland international won two league titles and one Scottish Cup with Celtic including the league and cup double in 1977.

He also played his part in the 1979 title triumph when the Hoops beat Rangers 4-2 to become champions, an occasion that will be remembered as the night Celtic’s 10 men won the league.

Edvaldsson left the club in 1980 to join Tulsa Roughnecks in the United States but returned to Scotland two years later joining Motherwell for two seasons.

Former Hoops team-mate Murdo Macleod tweeted: “Very sad to hear of the passing of Johannes “Big Shuggie” Edvaldsson. Big part of the team when we beat Rangers 4-2 to win the league in 1979. My thoughts are with his family.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
M3GAN 2.0 Cast Adds Ahsoka Star Ivanna Sakhno in Key Role
Forum | 25 mins ago

M3GAN 2.0 Cast Adds Ahsoka Star Ivanna Sakhno in Key Role

I
Forum | 7 hours ago

I'm Grateful to Big Brother for Making Me A Star – Ilebaye

UCL: He made it easy – Vinicius Jr hails Real Madrid star after scoring 2 against Bayern
Forum | 13 hours ago

UCL: He made it easy – Vinicius Jr hails Real Madrid star after scoring 2 against Bayern

Avengelyne: Margot Robbie Eyed to Star in Rob Liefeld Adaptation, Olivia Wilde to Direct
Forum | 1 day ago

Avengelyne: Margot Robbie Eyed to Star in Rob Liefeld Adaptation, Olivia Wilde to Direct