Ant-Man's Secret Hydra Actor Open For Return In MCU Phase 4

Forum 3 years ago

Ant-Man's Secret Hydra Actor Open For Return In MCU Phase 4

Donovan, who played an antagonist in 2015's Ant-Man, expresses interest in reprising the role, which would resolve his character's open fate.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/990aef353eefd6b8594a145d1b87e20e.jpg

Martin Donovan has expressed interest in reprising his Ant-Man character in a future Marvel movie. The first Ant-Man concluded the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Phase Two back in 2015, with the 2018 sequel Ant-Man and the Wasp providing some much-needed comic relief – and a beginners guide to the Quantum Realm - in between Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame. A third film in the series, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, was recently confirmed to be in development during Disney’s Investor Day, with Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lily, and director Peyton Reid all returning. It is expected to get a theatrical release sometime in 2022.

The Ant-Man series has a whole hive of memorable characters, including Scott Lang’s buddy Luis (Michael Pena) who has a unique and memorable way of storytelling, and Michael Douglas as the inimitable Dr. Hank Pym. Martin Donovan portrayed secret Hydra agent Mitchell Carson in 2015’s Ant-Man, an ally of main antagonist Yellowjacket (Corey Stoll). He was last seen escaping with a briefcase full of highly valuable Pym particles and has seemingly evaded capture ever since, with his final fate a subject of speculation for many Ant-Man fans.

Now, Donovan has confirmed he doesn’t know any more about the fate of his character than fans do – but despite that, he is willing to return to the franchise. In an interview with ComicBook.com, Donovan spoke of not being aware that his character is “still a major subject” but expressed interest in returning if Marvel asked him to do so, stating “They know where to reach me”. The full quote is below:

"I wasn't aware that he's still a major subject and I don't know what the plans are for him, to be honest with you. I don't know where they're going with that. But yeah, I mean, I'm here. They know where to reach me. I'm sure the theories are quite wild."

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/dc75ac11f66aa3ed69a341c11442b1b0.jpg

There is potential for Donovan to return in the upcoming Quantumania, especially if he still has the rare and valuable Pym particles in his possession. It’s rare for Marvel to leave an antagonist’s fate completely unresolved, and as he’s already been established as an enemy of Hank Pym, it’s likely that the doctor might be looking to take back what’s rightfully his.

However, while few details are known about the plot of Quantumania, it’s safe to assume from the title that it will heavily involve the Quantum Realm, which among other things is a clever call-back to one of Ant-Man and the Wasp’s best jokes. The Quantum Realm already introduced time travel to the MCU back in Endgame, and now fans are speculating that it could be used as a pathway to alternate timelines, making Phase Four the phase in which the multiverse is finally explored within the MCU.

Carson might come into play if Pym and original Wasp Janet Van Dyne (Michelle Pfeiffer) need more particles (a.k.a. Quantum Realm fuel), but time-travel and the multiverse are likely to bring a whole new set of powerful supervillains along for the ride, including classic Marvel Comics villain Kang the Conqueror. It looks like Donovan’s Ant-Man character is unlikely to play a major role in Phase Four, but the endless possibilities that the Quantum Realm creates within the MCU mean fans shouldn't stop holding out for a resolution just yet.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Monkey Man Digital Release Date Set for Dev Patel Action Movie
Forum | 2 days ago

Monkey Man Digital Release Date Set for Dev Patel Action Movie

New Deadpool & Wolverine Trailer Shows More of Hugh Jackman’s MCU Debut
Forum | 2 days ago

New Deadpool & Wolverine Trailer Shows More of Hugh Jackman’s MCU Debut

Photo Of British-Nigerian Man Who Was Jailed For 28 Years After Shooting Man Over £3.50 Drug Debt In UK
Forum | 2 days ago

Photo Of British-Nigerian Man Who Was Jailed For 28 Years After Shooting Man Over £3.50 Drug Debt In UK

Photo Of Nigerian Man Who Poses As A Ghost To Defraud People In Adamawa
Forum | 2 days ago

Photo Of Nigerian Man Who Poses As A Ghost To Defraud People In Adamawa