It Will Be Hard For Chelsea To Sell Kepa – Green

Forum 3 years ago

It Will Be Hard For Chelsea To Sell Kepa – Green

Kepa Arrizabalaga has become a “tough sell” for Chelsea, admits Robert Green, with error-strewn performances from a £71 million ($95m) goalkeeper meaning that the Blues may find it difficult to find any takers in January.https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/e0e18e90de91f10c2f7d470aa5741721.jpg

Frank Lampard is expected to seek out suitors for a Spain international when the transfer window re-opens.

Kepa has slipped down the pecking order at Stamford Bridge, with Edouard Mendy drafted in over the summer to take his place between the sticks.

A 26-year-old custodian struggling for confidence could do with finding regular game time elsewhere in 2021, but attracting interest may prove tricky.

Green expects that to be the case, with there a chance – given the financial factors involved – that even a loan agreement will be out of reach.

Green expects that to be the case, with there a chance – given the financial factors involved – that even a loan agreement will be out of reach.

“It’s a tough sell. It’s a numbers thing,” former Blues keeper Green told The Athletic.

“Chelsea and [their director] Marina Granovskaia are not in the business of losing money.

“They have an asset which is depreciating greatly but with football clubs in the financial state they’re in, it’s going to be tough to put something together.

“I’m not even talking just about selling, even a loan is going to be a struggle.

“The transfer fee and the wages [believed to be around £170,000 a week] is the biggest obstacle to resolving the situation.”

Green added on the lack of options available to Kepa, with clubs around the world prioritising other areas for strengthening in the middle of a season: “Someone has to have a real shortage and if someone goes, then a slot from the selling club also has to be filled. That’s why it rarely happens.

“If you’ve got money to spend on fees and wages in January, invariably, you will spend it on a striker or an attacking player. You’re usually covered for keepers in a season, so to need one is unlikely and on the financial side of it, it is very rare you spend your budget on a keeper.

Lampard not jumping the gun after Chelsea go fifth

“If you’re a club, especially one struggling at the bottom, your main thinking is, ‘I don’t need someone to save me 15 goals’.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Nigerian Govt to Sell Crude Oil in Naira to Dangote and Other Local Refineries
Forum | 3 days ago

Nigerian Govt to Sell Crude Oil in Naira to Dangote and Other Local Refineries

EPL: 11 Chelsea players miss training ahead of Everton clash
Forum | 1 week ago

EPL: 11 Chelsea players miss training ahead of Everton clash

Police Storm Criminal Hideouts In Abuja, Arrest 85 Suspects For Peddling Hard Drugs, Producing Counterfeit Currencies, Others
Forum | 1 week ago

Police Storm Criminal Hideouts In Abuja, Arrest 85 Suspects For Peddling Hard Drugs, Producing Counterfeit Currencies, Others

EPL: He’s only one I can think of – Jason Cundy hails Chelsea star after 2-2 draw
Forum | 1 week ago

EPL: He’s only one I can think of – Jason Cundy hails Chelsea star after 2-2 draw