Sexual harassment from men has affected my life, career – Project Fame 3rd runner-up, Annette Cookey

Forum 7 years ago

Sexual harassment from men has affected my life, career – Project Fame 3rd runner-up, Annette Cookey

The 3rd runner-up in the 2008 MTN Project Fame West Africa, Annette Cookey, says sexual harassment from men has affected her as a person.

She also noted that nudity in the Nigerian music industry makes no sense as posing in the nude is not the yardstick to selling one’s musical brand.

In a chat with Vanguard, she said, “I am sure a lot of people will be wondering what has been happening to me since I won the show. I am not going to say I am a sex symbol but for some reasons, I often get sexually harassed and that really affected me as a person.

“It has also affected my career in music because I don’t trust anyone anymore. They will tell you that they want to work with you because you’re so talented, and at the same time, they will want sexual favours from you, and I don’t think that is proper.

“There are a few people out there who are genuine and I am waiting to meet with the genuine ones.

“Basically, that is why I have not really put out much, and that is why my music is not seen to be as big as the likes of Iyanya and Praiz who were my co-contestants back then in the academy.

“Anyway, I have people who love me and who follow me up, whether I have a club banger or not,” Ms. Cookey said.

On her thoughts on nudity in the industry, the R&B singer said, “Though, they say sex sells, but I do not believe in that. I believe people should be modest in whatever they do. And when I refer to the past, people will say that things have changed.

“At least, I have watched Mary J. Blige a couple of times, and I can’t remember seeing her perform naked, or half naked, and she is not doing bad for herself. I don’t think you have to be naked to sell,” the model added.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
How Nigerian Soldiers Intercepted A Gun Runner In Taraba, Foiled Kidnap Attempt
Forum | 2 days ago

How Nigerian Soldiers Intercepted A Gun Runner In Taraba, Foiled Kidnap Attempt

Biography & Career Of Hank Kuehne
Forum | 4 days ago

Biography & Career Of Hank Kuehne

Age & Career Of Jack Stratton
Forum | 4 days ago

Age & Career Of Jack Stratton