AIT Chairman To Buhari: You Are Powerless Here, Old Dictator

Forum 8 years ago

AIT Chairman To Buhari: You Are Powerless Here, Old Dictator

Daar Communications chairman, Raymond Dokpesi has stated that General Muhammadu Buhari lacks the power (constitutionally) to stop the TV station from covering his activities.

Daily Indepedent reports this story, saying that Buhari's decision to bar the radio station on Monday was like Nigeria going back to the Decree 4 era, which was enacted by Buhari's junta back in the day as a muzzle on the press of his time.

Dokpesi said: “I am sure that the President-elect needs to be reminded of Decree 4, and he should be clearly reminded that Section 32 of the constitution makes it mandatory for the media to hold public officials accountable to the people.

[ads4]
“The president-elect said that he does not want to be covered byAIT, butAIThas a responsibility to the Nigerian public to report the things that are happening.

“There are three national networks available for national coverage in Nigeria, the NTA, AIT and Silverbirds. You cannot stop a foremost private station from reporting in Nigeria, it brings us back to Decree 4 era.”

He said that AIT is a private entity and is therefore free to air what it feels like:

“If they had produced their own documentary to say this is what we want andAITdid not publish it, then that is another matter.

“What is obviously very clear is the fact thatAITbelieves that the historical information about the President-elect that were ran, were factually correct.

“Nothing was done to defame him or impinge on his character or integrity."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
PDP To Elect New Chairman In August
Forum | 1 day ago

PDP To Elect New Chairman In August

I Have All The Credentials To Become PDP National Chairman – Suswam
Forum | 2 days ago

I Have All The Credentials To Become PDP National Chairman – Suswam

Ganduje Remains Our National Chairman – APC
Forum | 2 days ago